Share your C25K Experiences

Options
Has anyone used C25K to train for a run? I've never EVER been a good runner, but I do like to do it. I'd love to train for a 5 K but don't know how to go about doing it. I've heard people say that they started this way and I have it on my ipod. Please share your experiences and what helped you train for running.

Replies

• mwelch1105
    Options
    I love it! I am on week 6 and it really does work! I never was much for running, and I remember how hard it was to run for just 90 seconds, but now I can run for 20 minutes. Unbelievable!!! I am so impressed, and still have a few more weeks to go of training! Definitely use it, it works!
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Week 5 and 6 got a little hairy for me but I stopped after that. I can run for 10 min straight, break and run for another 10 minutes in a 25 minute period so I'd say thats pretty darn good after all that.
  • KiteGirl83
    Options
    I loved c25k! I hadn't run since college (about 7 years) and had gained a lot of weight after my son turned 2. I started walking for a couple weeks and wanted to kick it up. I started at week 4 so that I wouldn't get sick of the walking intervals in the beginning, and followed it through to the end. It kept me running- my app allowed me to listen to my own music and just put the "walk now" "run now" notifications over my own playlist. I did it with a friend, and she just followed my lead.

When I finished C25K I bought Nike + ($20, plus a little carrier for non-nike shoes) and started using that to track my runs.

I loved C25K- it helped me a lot. Especially if you have the C25K thing on your iPod, then you don't have to try and time your own intervals. I remember when it would kill me to run for 10 minutes- I thought it was INSANE! Then this morning (3 months later) I went out and ran 3.5 miles.

Rule of thumb- running 3x a week seems to be a good training program. I'm training for a 10 mile run right now, and I run 3 days a week (long runs on Saturday) and then do "stretching and strengthening" on 2 days and "30 minutes cross training" on 1 day. Check out coolrunning.com for lots of running programs/ideas.

Another thing I did was buy a book- Run Like a Mother, for my Kindle. It really psyched me up and let me know that you don't have to be a certain body type to be a runner, you just have to work hard.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started back at the first of the summer & it seemed like it kicked my tail. I had almost quit, after I built up to the 20 minute runs because I felt like I was hitting a wall. About that time, a friend suggested we sign up for the Race for the Cure on Oct 1st. That gave me a goal & a reason to push myself. I ran my 3 miles this morning in 30:40 & I am so stinking proud of myself. I have one more week, then I already signed up for race 2. Keep at it - it really is worth it & gives you a huge sense of accomplishment! GOOD LUCK!
  • KiteGirl83
    Options
    A couple words of warning (sorry, keep thinking of more stuff...)

1) You might gain weight in the beginning. I actually gained about 5 lbs. and my pants felt tight for the first couple of months, but then my weight started to steadily go down and now I'm 10 lbs. under my starting weight. Just push through the body changes and you'll start to feel great!

2) Make sure you get a good sports bra. I would always get discouraged from running in the past because it just wasn't comfortable. I got a moving comfort bra and now I can run without getting distracted by the crappiness of my old bra.
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    I started back at the first of the summer & it seemed like it kicked my tail. I had almost quit, after I built up to the 20 minute runs because I felt like I was hitting a wall. About that time, a friend suggested we sign up for the Race for the Cure on Oct 1st. That gave me a goal & a reason to push myself. I ran my 3 miles this morning in 30:40 & I am so stinking proud of myself. I have one more week, then I already signed up for race 2. Keep at it - it really is worth it & gives you a huge sense of accomplishment! GOOD LUCK!

Good job and good luck! And everyone else, thanks for the words of encouragement. :) I think I will def give it a try.
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    Which version of C25K do you have? I have the NHS version.

Been working with the C25K program and I found it great.. am up to being able to run 4.5km in that half hour.. which isnt fast.. but it's a hell of a lot better than I used to be able to do.

My experience is this.. From no running to 30 mins non stop in 9 weeks can be too much for some people, particularly in the beginning. If you push yourself too hard at the outset you can be more inclined to give up. If you are concerned about progressing that quickly, give yourself 2 weeks on each level. Progress as you feel comfortable, and give yourself that rest day they recommend in between runs.

Don't worry about how far and fast you run, focus on the times to begin with, then when you get up to the level of being able to go for the 30 minutes, push yourself to go that little bit faster and further in that time.

Oh, and don't look ahead at the planned programs for each week. Just plug into your ipod and go. You will be surprised how much easier it is to complete each level increase when you haven't had time to psych yourself out of it by stressing about how you are going to run that long non stop.

Make sure you drink plenty, and don't forget to refuel after a run (I usually do the low fat protein shake/smoothie thing).

I would recommend (especially as you have said you are not a good runner) that if you haven't done it yet get a gait and posture assessment done, and get shoes that are suited to your feet and running style.

My feet supinate badly (roll outwards) and I am also a heavy runner. I found the difference going from a pair off off the shelf from a sports store shoes (which are good shoes) to a properly matched pair of shoes specific to my running style made a huge difference. I have now gotr a pair of shoes that pretty well negate the supination and have a massive crash pad for my heel, and full foot cushioning. The more your feet and ankles are supported the less your chance of injury.

Just remember, every step you take, even if it is a slow jog, is that one step closer to running that race, and is one more step you are ahead of everyone who sat at home and did nothing. C25K is a great tool to help you get to that point, and if you decide to do more, there are 5-10 km programs out there as well. If someone like me (who was 350ish lbs and super super lazy) can do it, then anyone can.

Good luck with it!! You will do great, just stay confident and pace yourself!
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I loved it too! Still haven't managed to get to the 5k, but can do 30 minutes non-stop, which I NEVER imagined I would be able to do. Working on the pace now and also use the Nike+ sensor with my iPod - keeps me motivated.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in early July and now run 30 minutes a day four times a week. I go pretty slowly and haven't made the 5K part of the whole thing, but I am getting farther every time. It's very exciting to me, and while I don't like running, I like how I feel when I'm done and I certainly like punching in that "calories burned"!

I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it. It's a cliche, but if I can do it, almost anyone can.