When calories vs. volume makes my head explode--my huge lunc

Phoenixflame
Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
So, today I was feeling a bit hippyish...I guess I'm missing San Francisco. For lunch, I felt hungry for some veggies. And I wanted to play around. I started throwing a bunch of stuff together, and here's the result:

- 2 oz snow peas
- .5 oz brocco sprouts
- 6 brussels sprouts
- 1/2 package of lite tofu
- 75 grams eggplant
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinches of Chinese spices and garlic powder

I stirred it all up in a pan and finally dumped it onto a plate. It took up the ENTIRE plate. I was so full at the end, especially when I threw in a banana for dessert.

And the grand caloric total, banana included? A little under 300 calories! HOLY HELL!

Damn, I'm behind on calories now. I'll have to go to Starbucks to fix it! :blushing:

But a quick question--how much of the nutritional value of the veggies did I kill by stir frying it?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    So, today I was feeling a bit hippyish...I guess I'm missing San Francisco. For lunch, I felt hungry for some veggies. And I wanted to play around. I started throwing a bunch of stuff together, and here's the result:

- 2 oz snow peas
    - .5 oz brocco sprouts
    - 6 brussels sprouts
    - 1/2 package of lite tofu
    - 75 grams eggplant
    - 1 tsp olive oil
    - Pinches of Chinese spices and garlic powder

I stirred it all up in a pan and finally dumped it onto a plate. It took up the ENTIRE plate. I was so full at the end, especially when I threw in a banana for dessert.

And the grand caloric total, banana included? A little under 300 calories! HOLY HELL!

Damn, I'm behind on calories now. I'll have to go to Starbucks to fix it! :blushing:

But a quick question--how much of the nutritional value of the veggies did I kill by stir frying it?
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Way to go phoenix...:smokin: :smokin:

And you killed much less of the nutritional value by stir frying than you would have by boiling. Stir frying - especially if just until crisp tender - only cooks for a short period of time and you retain most of what is cooked out (in the sauce). When you boil, you leave much in the water.

Great lunch.. very inspiring.. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

janiebeth
  • Phoenixflame
    Huzzah!

Yeah, I have my own way of stir frying. I don't like a super oily taste, because I'm very sensitive to the texture of oil. But if you use too little oil in a stir fry, you can get crappy veggies. So I spray it with no-cal olive oil spray, then when I'm almost done, I drizzle on a teaspoon of the real stuff and finish stirring. It has the good taste of more olive oil, but less of the "coat your mouth" feeling I can get.
This discussion has been closed.