Potato Substitute for Stew... Radishes?!

Options
I was reading that radishes lose their peppery bite when cooked in a stew. I guess they even turn white with the texture and taste of a potato.

Can you confirm or deny this? :wink: This will be awesome, if it is so!

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Turnips and parsnips are good potato replacements too, never tried radish so not sure how they work
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump!! i'd love to know. i looove radishes!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I've never tried with regular radishes, but black radishes work rather well.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I will try it and post my findings tonight! :happy:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You could also try chunks of cauliflower core. Most of the time that gets thrown away, but it makes passable substitute for potatoes if mashed or cut into chunks for stew
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Turnips and parsnips are good potato replacements too, never tried radish so not sure how they work

turnips do too when they are cooked. I am going to have to try this :) Radish would be awesome added to my cauliflower carrot mash :)
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I don't know how it would work in a mashed, but what I read was a replacement in stew. They didn't mention anything about using them other than in the stew as a replacement.

Also, I read that using turnips and parsnips in a slow cooker for stew makes them really mushy, translucent, and that they aren't as good.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the store until late afternoon, so I will have to check back in tomorrow night and let you know how the radishes turn out in my stew!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    BUMP! My stew is stewing! Radishes and all!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    OK, so here is the verdict. The radishes definitely stew to a whitish color and they have a nice, soft, stewed consistency. They do lose their peppery kick. They do not have the consistency of a potato. Overall, they are good though! Enjoy!