Apples

Options
OK I just age a small gala apple. When I logged it into my diary, it said 45 calories. Reasonable. Then I remembered that the nutrition facts should be on the bag. So, I looked. It says 130 CALORIES!!!! :noway: REALLY?!!! I searched the internet and most hits say anywhere from 45-80 calories. How are you supposed to be accurate with so many differences? What do you beleive? If that small apple I ate really is 130 calories, I'm done!
:ohwell:

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    130 seems a bit high. I'd a regular-sized apple is probably around 80 cals.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    That's why a scale is a better way to do it. Your apples might be bigger than the small ones with only 45 calories. Try measuring the diameter of one and see if you can find a number based on that. I know there is something like that for bananas
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Did you check the serving size on the bag?...I don't think a small apple is 130...I've never seen that...I would go with MFP's cal. count.:smile:
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I checked several sites for nutritional data on Gala apples and all of them said 80 calories. I would go with the majority. :smile:
  • Julie2402
    Options
    hi, i don't think any apple could contain that many calories! well maybe a toffee apple could, lol
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine went on a very strict diet recently and one of the "meals" she ate was baked apples. Now, I never tasted it, but the smell was incredible. Here's the recipe:

1 small apple
    1 packet splenda
    sprinkles of cinnamon

Cut apple into wedges (peel/no peel doesn't matter)
    Sprinkle splenda and cinnamon over apples
    Bake in the microwave for about 30 seconds up to 1 minute (depends on the thickness of slices)

Enjoy!!!
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I eat a Gala apple every day and mine average 150 grams in weight (I'd call it a medium to large size apple), and when I log that it is 85 calories.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    hi, i don't think any apple could contain that many calories! well maybe a toffee apple could, lol

I was gonna say pretty much the same except A Carmel Apple. Normal range is 35 to 80 on most all I have seen.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have had a 130 calorie apple once. It weighed like .8 lbs. :P

It was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. As long as your apple was about the size of a baseball, you should be set.
  • JETrees
    Options
    First, apple sizes vary greatly as does the sugar and water content, depending on conditions. Second, who eats core and all? Better to section it and weigh the sections. Finally, there appears to be some misinformation in some of the data. Some items have 3 or 4 posts, all different.
    Apples are a good snack, I wouldn't get to worked up over them.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely gonna try this! Thanks!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, the apple was as small as my tea cup Pomeranian's head. I think even 80 sounds high. I mean, I might have gotten 6 sections from it...Jetrees, I think you're right. I'm getting to worked up about this kinda stuff. I'm going with MFP's number.

THANKS EVERYONE!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    First, apple sizes vary greatly as does the sugar and water content, depending on conditions. Second, who eats core and all? Better to section it and weigh the sections. Finally, there appears to be some misinformation in some of the data. Some items have 3 or 4 posts, all different.
    Apples are a good snack, I wouldn't get to worked up over them.
    this is exactly what i do when i get a bag of apples. I core one, and then weigh the edible part. Now i know how much i am really eating.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Who cares about the exact calories? It was a piece of fruit - one of your 5 a day - it's not going to make you any heavier! Don't stress over the little things. I never worry about the exact calorie content of fruit or vegetables