English muffin recipe

Options
jennarandhayes
jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
Hi all, I haven't found whole wheat english muffins in the UK and I am really craving one! I looked up how to make English muffins and it seems fairly simple if you have a general idea how to bake. I thought I'd share the recipe for those who like to bake or are in to clean eating. Here is the website: http://www.free-recipe.co.uk/78076-whole-wheat-english-muffin-recipe

Cooking Ingredients for Whole Wheat English Muffin Recipe

1 pk Yeast
1/4 ts Honey
1-1/4 c Warm water
3 c Whole wheat flour (up to 4)
1 sm Red potato, boiled and
-mashed
Cornmeal

Whole Wheat English Muffin Preparation

Dissolve yeast and honey in 1/4 c water and proof till bubbly. Add rest of ingredients, mix well and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Divide into a dozen pieces and make each a circle about 2-3 inces across. Place on baking sheet dusted with cornmeal (or dry polenta), cover lightly and let rise in warm stop 1 or 1 1/2 hours – bake 6-8 minutes at 375.

The recipe makes 12 muffins, but I may try to make them a bit smaller so that they are fewer calories. Using the recipe calculator, here are the calories/fat depending on how many you make.

12 muffins=124 cals, 1 gram fat
15 muffins=99 cals, 0 grams fat
18 muffins=83 cals, 0 grams fat

Replies

• InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This sounds brilliant, and I'm definitely going to do it. I love muffins.

By the way, if you're feeling lazy... Tesco's do wholewheat ones in packets of 6. And I bet they're nowhere near this good, but they're not bad. I think 150 cals each, something like that.

Cheers for this!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jennarandhayes
    Options
    This sounds brilliant, and I'm definitely going to do it. I love muffins.

By the way, if you're feeling lazy... Tesco's do wholewheat ones in packets of 6. And I bet they're nowhere near this good, but they're not bad. I think 150 cals each, something like that.

Cheers for this!
    :flowerforyou:

Hmmm, I've looked at Tesco and haven't seen them. Are they with other "breakfast" breads where the other muffins are?
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You are going to love them. English muffins are shockingly easy to make and taste 1000 times better making them at home. Although I don't use this recipe (i use the whole wheat english muffins from allrecipes.com).
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hi - yes, exactly there. Where you'll also find crumpets and bagels and whatever. In fact here's a link to the product on mysupermarket:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Patisserie/Tesco_Wholemeal_Muffins_6.html

(I'm not some kind of supermarket geek, I just happen to know as I buy them all the time, honest!)

Are you in the UK long? Try crumpets as well. So nice!
  • ScotsLenny
    ScotsLenny Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Tesco, taste great too
  • jennarandhayes
    Options
    @AwesomeJobe: I can't wait! I have all of the ingredients here, so I am going to make them in time for breakfast in the morning.

@InstantSunshine: Thanks for the info, I'll look again. We have been in the UK for over a year and we are here at least until next summer. Not a big fan of crumpets, but I like their name. ;}
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I love english muffins. Thanks for posting.
  • jennarandhayes
    Options
    Well, I didn't get around to making them in the morning, but they were finished by mid afternoon and they are AWESOME! If you like the taste of yeasty bread I highly recommend making these yourself. I ended up making 18 @ 83 cals per muffin, giving me room to add butter and/or jam. YUM!

Going in to the oven:
    SAM_6074.jpg

Ready to eat:
    SAM_6075.jpg
  • jamoises
    jamoises Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    these look amazing. thanks for the pictures!