Relationship Question

smc1277
smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
Hi All!! So I have a question....obviously. I have been married for ten years, and through out the years the hubby and I have always have friends of the opposite sex and we are ok with that. Well recently he has been texting a single 20 year old girl who works at the gas station, simply because they are friends. Now maybe in my old age I am getting a little bit of jealous bone, but am I the only one who finds it inappropriate that a married 32 year old man is texting a single 20 year old girl? He has tons of females he chats with, text, sometimes even goes out to dinner with, as I do guys. But this time, I am not digging it. Thoughts, opinoins?

Replies

• has he said or done anything to make you suspicious? is he acting differently or talks about this girl 'differently'?
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Well, hows your sex life? If things are lacking in that department, i'd get worried. Otherwise she's probably just another "friend."
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    has he said or done anything to make you suspicious? is he acting differently or talks about this girl 'differently'?

Good Questions :D
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    If it's usually OK, but your instincts tell you otherwise here, listen to your gut. With my ex (we dated for 5 years), I ignored my instincts and it turned out to be a huge mistake.

Talk to your husband about it, in my opinion.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    absolutely, positively not - put a stop to that now. MY husband - OLDER than yours was doing the same thing with a 27 yr old woman- I finally told him I wasn't comfortable with it - but he did whatever he wanted "you're crazy, just friends" etc. I have a history of mental illness so the 'crazy' thing (used to) work and I backed off. Finally, (other stuff too) I left him and guess who moved in before the month was out?
    NOW some a**hole calls me crazy and he's gonna SEE crazy - I'm DONE with the crazy **** - don't have the lying pigs in my house or their teenage girlfriends either
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    All I can say is, when you're dancing on a slippery slope - don't be surprised if someone falls!
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    I agree with Shanni. If you have a weird feeling about it, there is most likely a reason for it. I know I wouldn't be feeling that. Listen to your instincts on this one. If you're usually ok with it and you aren't right now, then something is up.

Talk to him about it before something happens that can't be taken back.
    Good luck!
  • I actually just went through something similar with my husband. He had become really friendly with this girl he was friends with at school. There were some things that they could relate to that I could not. One day he stayed late at school to hang out and help her out with some schoolwork. That night we had a blow up, but essentially I had warned him to be careful. In the end, he acknowledged my feelings and was more aware of his actions. Over time, I have been able to see the relationship for what it is because I (as well as my husband) have been able to see more of the person she is. My one question for you is: What about his texting this 20 year old is bothering you? Once you figure that out, I would suggest you have a frank conversation about what is bothering you and why. Then you can figure out where to go from there. I hope this helps...
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    depends really... does he text her constantly. if he is talking(or doing anything) with you does he have to put u aside for her texts?? Does he do things other than texting that bother you?? if its just texting(nothing over the line texts) then its probably ok but if he is texting innapropriate things or acting weird about it or wanting to see her all the time mayby u should be worried. u really didnt say enough in your post lol. Either way TALK TO HIM.. see his reactions.
  • smc1277
    I didn't even know they were friends until she started texting. He had never spoke of her before. And I have talked to him and he swears it's innocent, but something doesn't feel right. Like last night when he got finished cutting his hair he sent her a picture of himself. It's just different. It could just be my insecurities are full blown right now. Then he is like oh I'll give up a friend if it makes you happy, almost throwing a whole guilt trip on me, because I usually just cave. I mean I am completely independant so if he walked out tomorrow, I would survive. But if you want to act like your twenty again, let me go. I am a big girl, I can handle it.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    I didn't even know they were friends until she started texting. He had never spoke of her before. And I have talked to him and he swears it's innocent, but something doesn't feel right. Like last night when he got finished cutting his hair he sent her a picture of himself. It's just different. It could just be my insecurities are full blown right now. Then he is like oh I'll give up a friend if it makes you happy, almost throwing a whole guilt trip on me, because I usually just cave. I mean I am completely independant so if he walked out tomorrow, I would survive. But if you want to act like your twenty again, let me go. I am a big girl, I can handle it.

I wouldn't cave, I would make him prove it. If he can't drop her, then somethings up.
  • you know when you said you both have friends of the opposite sex? do you ever get together for a meal? maybe you could talk to her and get to the core of their friendship or whatever it is may or may not have.
    because at the moment, as much as i would like to say follow your instincts, you don't have a lot to go on, and the worst thing you could do at the moment is start falling out with him over, what is at the moment essentially nothing, and pushing him towards someone who as you you say 'gets' him more.
    i guess what i'm saying is you need more than a feeling, to make this an issue. keep it there, and keep an eye out, but don't come across as jealous.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    This may be the wrong thing to say, but as a college professor, I see a lot of 20-somethings on a daily basis, and they text . . . A LOT.

They text their mothers.
    They text their brothers.
    They text their BFFs.
    They text their boyfriends.
    They text their exes.

So to her, it may be totally innocent. But it could be flirting.

My question isn't why a 32 year old man is texting a 20-something girl, but why a 20- something girl is texting constantly with a 32 year old married man when she's got so many other options.
  • smc1277
    This may be the wrong thing to say, but as a college professor, I see a lot of 20-somethings on a daily basis, and they text . . . A LOT.

They text their mothers.
    They text their brothers.
    They text their BFFs.
    They text their boyfriends.
    They text their exes.

So to her, it may be totally innocent. But it could be flirting.

My question isn't why a 32 year old man is texting a 20-something girl, but why a 20- something girl is texting constantly with a 32 year old married man when she's got so many other options.

That's a good question!! Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Peronaly it would bother me if these texts went back and forth for long periods at a time. If this was the case, why is he not spending it with you ???? Just a thought... Hope I have it wrong xx
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 148 Member
    Trust your instincts. There may not be anything going on yet but he is flirting with fire and if he respects your feelings he will knock it off.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Just another vote for trusting your instincts on this.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Agree with trusting your instincts. Each situation. If you feel it is harmless, it probably is.

If it gives you an icky feeling... well then you need to nip it in the bud.

Sometimes men/woman may have a friendly texting/im relationship that is totally innocent. But you need to make certain. And if you aren't comfortable with it, don't put up with it.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Or just say how you feel, I am sure if he knew how you felt he would stop! xx
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Trust your instincts and talk to him about it more. If it is nothing he will give you the info you need to prove so.