logging your everyday walking?

I used a pedometer at work, and figure I walk about 6 miles during my work day. should I be logging this??

Replies

• calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    I would...I'm a home schooling mom with a 10, 4, and 2year old. I stay on my feet practically ALL day long trying to keep up with the youngest:yawn: , teach the 4yr old:grumble: , help out with the 10yr old who is a little more independent now with her work,:wink: while at the same time washing, cleaning, and cooking:angry: ...I would love to have a pedometer reading on a regular day for me, so if I were you I'd log it...you can also go to caloriesperhour.com to check it out. I think they have 'standing' in their database, good luck!!:smile:
  • I'm on my feet most days, up and down the stairs several times an hour etc; so I just made sure to set my activity level to active to account for those calories.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    i would say it depends on your activity level setting here. if its sedentary, id say yes. (thats what ive done)
    but if you have it set for and kind of active i dont think i would, as it already figures it in a bit as far as calories go
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Did you figure that in when you did your lifestyle part of the profile? If you did then it does not count, if you didn't then go for it.

I made that "mistake" when I first started. I run a tandem robot and walk about 10 miles a night. Plus with all the lifting and lugging and packing I thought I was doing great! So when the weight was not budging I wondered WHY? So when I stopped adding in work and stuck to the calories already figured in for that I started dropping nicely. Now I just add anything out of the normal for me.
  • Did you figure that in when you did your lifestyle part of the profile? If you did then it does not count, if you didn't then go for it.

Agree.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    I do 6 miles at work also. When I have measured it, it's between 5 and 8 every day. I do not log it because I am set for lightly active and that seems to cover it.

I walk an additional 5 miles every day for exercise and I definitely log that. If you are like me, the work walks are also done in short bursts with a lot of starting and stopping. My exercise walks are where I get health benefits. Walking at work is just normal everyday activity for me.
  • I set my profile to lightly active in the beginning. But I didnt realize that I actually walked that much during the day. I think I actually only sit down 1 hr out of an 8 hr day....

Yes I guess you could say they are in shortish bursts. I am walking between 14 operating rooms throughout the day, often carrying equipment

So I suppose im somewhere in the middle. I think I will just sit tight and see how it goes for now. Thanks everyone
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    I only log my exercise walking. My everyday walking I don't. I was logging it for a while but found it was an overestimation on calories burned which in turn caused a weight gain. So if it's not actual exercise, I don't log it.