Lose Stomach Fat Challenge

Options

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yipes! Watch out for your substitutions folks! I just substituted a cup of rice flour for a cup of wheat flour, and instead of my serving being 90 cals, it rose to a little under 600 cals!

It tasted real good. No wonder!

Next time I'll check my results ahead of time. Right now my entire supper came in at 1200 calories! And just because of two little plum dumplings!
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    well, it may be a coincidence, but I weighed myself this morning and for the first time in 2 months my weight has actually moved...and in the right direction!! I only lost 0.2 of a lb, but its so nice to see 143 rather than 144 on the scales. A very small move, but a move none the less!! I am extatic and cant wait to see more movement!!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Almost three pounds lost this week. I have met all of my calorie goals, including eating back calories. I feel great and I haven't missed the gluten products. I didn't cut out all grains, just the gluten. Want to transition slowly.
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    hows everyone doing with their gluten free diet? avoided the beer last night in exchange for wine :) I did eat a burger and fries out, but I removed the bun. No telling if there was wheat anywhere else in the meal though
  • grassette
    Options
    Hidden wheat is something that those with celliac disease have to avoid. A friend who has recently been diagnosed gave me the low-down on what her nutritionist told her to avoid. All kinds of things have flour added but undeclared. For example:
    ground spices esp cinnamon
    ham
    vinegar, brewed from wheat; and thus mayonnaise, mustard and things with vinegar as an ingredient
    all kinds of prepared foods including sauces, cream soups, bouillon cubes
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    Hidden wheat is something that those with celliac disease have to avoid. A friend who has recently been diagnosed gave me the low-down on what her nutritionist told her to avoid. All kinds of things have flour added but undeclared. For example:
    ham
    vinegar, brewed from wheat; and thus mayonnaise, mustard and things with vinegar as an ingredient

I didn't know about the vinegar. Good to know. I will have to be more strict about it next week and make sure to read ingredients.
  • grassette
    Options
    So far: 2.5 lbs lost. How much of that can be attributable to no-wheat, as opposed to other factors, I don`t know.
    Waist measurements (at 2" above the belly button, full exhale): From 40" last Monday to 38.5"

Observations: my stomach is not as bloated, and my profile is flatter, without me having to suck in in. The fake pregnant look is gone. I still weigh 181 pounds, but it is fat, and not bloat that I see.

I wonder what will happen on week two of this. Will week one consolidate? Or will I see further changes?
  • grassette
    Options
    ham

I didn't know about the vinegar. Good to know. I will have to be more strict about it next week and make sure to read ingredients.

But this information does not appear on the labels. It takes a dietician in the know to advise you on these things-- which are based upon documented reactions. But there is good news for Canadians: as of August 2012, food labels will have to indicate gluten content. Only then will we be able to know whether or not there is flour in ground spices. Right now, dieticians advise their patients to buy their spices whole and to ground them up, because apart from specific local labels, the grocery spice rack is not to be trusted.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    hows everyone doing with their gluten free diet? avoided the beer last night in exchange for wine :) I did eat a burger and fries out, but I removed the bun. No telling if there was wheat anywhere else in the meal though

I started on 9/27...so my first full week is Tues 10/4. At first it was very, very easy....towards the weekend I really started craving breads but have not touched it , I did however have two beers Fri night, ugh. I will behave myself for the remainder of my time, I am anxious to see if it really makes a difference.Then I am considering going back to including whole wheat in my diet again for two weeks just to compare.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    ham

But this information does not appear on the labels. It takes a dietician in the know to advise you on these things-- which are based upon documented reactions. But there is good news for Canadians: as of August 2012, food labels will have to indicate gluten content. Only then will we be able to know whether or not there is flour in ground spices. Right now, dieticians advise their patients to buy their spices whole and to ground them up, because apart from specific local labels, the grocery spice rack is not to be trusted.

Great...I have been eating Boar's Head ham this past week...and vinegar? Never would have thought...tricky gluten!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in here this week. I have been thinking about removing wheat from my diet to see if it made any difference in my belly flab. This challenge seems like a good place to start. Plus it helps to have the support. I have gone wheat free and even gluten free in the past to try and figure out the source of my stomach issues. I am not celiac or wheat intolerant but I do remember that I did feel better on it and my stomach was less bloated. There are a lot of substitutes but you do have to be careful especially with pastas because some of them are made with a mix of wheat flour and an alternative grain. I do know that you can buy gluten free soy sauce. San-J makes it and I get it at the supermarket. Otherwise you can order it online at vitacost.com. I buy a lot of my supplements from them . It is so hard to remove wheat and I am finding myself not knowing what to eat. Last night for dinner I cooked up a spaghetti squash. Then I sauteed onions, garlic, zucchini with some tomato sauce(homemade from a can of crushed tomatoes) and added some parm cheese and put it over the spaghetti squash. It was pretty tasty. Even my husband said it looked good, although he didn't taste it(he and the kids made pizzas for dinner). I already eat a lot of quinoa and am always on the lookout for new recipes to try with that. Here's to less belly fat!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading Dr. Davis's book as opposed to a short quote from a magazine. He doesn't encourage the consumption of oats, rice, quinoa instead of eating wheat -- he encourages the eating of vegetables, meats, nuts (not peanuts which are a legume) and fats/oils to replace the lost nutrients. Rice flour, oats, etc will still raise your blood sugar, which is what his main concern is (he does talk about Celiac several times in the book, but it's mainly about benefiting those in the diabetic and prediabetic range) and his theory is that the insulin produced when you eat foods that raise your blood sugar turns to belly fat. Ironically one of the few foods to raise your blood sugar higher than whole wheat?? Cornstarch, rice starch & potato starch -- which are very common in gluten free foods. A Snickers chocolate bar? Raises the blood sugar LESS than whole grains.

He recommends almond flour for when you need to make some type of bread and he recommends cutting out all unhealthy oils -- which his definition of are very different from the standard FDA list.

Again, best to read the book. He also explains WHY wheat consumption is different than even 50 years ago, and the various ailments that can be cured by stopping (diabetes, skin conditions, joint/muscle pain, lots of psychological issues, LDL and a lot more). It was a fantastic read and well worth the $20.

(for the record, my stomach across the belly button is 29", and I find if I eat wheat now, my stomach balloons two inches and takes a couple of days to go back to normal).
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • heavenlymama
    heavenlymama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    for all those trying this lifestyle for the next two weeks, there are two bread products that have no wheat and are tasty. Udi's(compnay) makes bread products -hamburger buns, hot dog buns, you get the idea. On the shelf they are far better than anything else out there that I have found. Also Glutino makes a boxed line of their product called gluten free pantry- their bread is really delicious but you got to make it but it's worth it to have it on hand. good luck to all of you.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    As usual, I am the sceptic here. I am seeing responses on her mentioning gluten sensitivity. Perhaps that is the belly fat issue more than the wheat itself? I mean, if a person is not sensitive to gluten, removing wheat from the diet may not have a similar result. I can drop weight like a hot rock without sacrificing muscle mass as long as I can keep my protien/carb/fat ratios in line, regardless of the source of those carbs, excepting simple refined sugars, of course. (Good balance of cardio and strength training helps, too.) Wheat or no wheat makes no difference, but that is me. It may not work for someone else.

It will be interesting to read everyone's results and make comparisons.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Okay, I didnt cut down on my intake completely. But I have made huge improvement. I did ended up losing 1.2lbs overall this week versus none the other weeks! I do have to remember that I had way more fruits/vegetables this week and overall i DID eat a lot healthier then usual!
  • grassette
    Options
    I recommend reading Dr. Davis's book as opposed to a short quote from a magazine. He doesn't encourage the consumption of oats, rice, quinoa instead of eating wheat -- he encourages the eating of vegetables, meats, nuts (not peanuts which are a legume) and fats/oils to replace the lost nutrients. Rice flour, oats, etc will still raise your blood sugar, which is what his main concern is (he does talk about Celiac several times in the book, but it's mainly about benefiting those in the diabetic and prediabetic range) and his theory is that the insulin produced when you eat foods that raise your blood sugar turns to belly fat. Ironically one of the few foods to raise your blood sugar higher than whole wheat?? Cornstarch, rice starch & potato starch -- which are very common in gluten free foods. A Snickers chocolate bar? Raises the blood sugar LESS than whole grains.

He recommends almond flour for when you need to make some type of bread and he recommends cutting out all unhealthy oils -- which his definition of are very different from the standard FDA list.

Again, best to read the book. He also explains WHY wheat consumption is different than even 50 years ago, and the various ailments that can be cured by stopping (diabetes, skin conditions, joint/muscle pain, lots of psychological issues, LDL and a lot more). It was a fantastic read and well worth the $20.

(for the record, my stomach across the belly button is 29", and I find if I eat wheat now, my stomach balloons two inches and takes a couple of days to go back to normal).

Thanks for the info and the book review. It is good to know that almond flour isn't as high in calories at the other flours, and that the good doctor pushes the reader to vegetables as opposed to other grains.

And that anecdotal evidence of ballooning stomach after eating wheat is useful too. It might explain why my measurements were so eratic, even as I was losing weight. If I've purged my system this time, I will have to see what another week away from wheat will give.
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    ham

Luckily I grind quite a few of my own spices :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but I quit this over the weekend. It's just too much trouble to avoid wheat as it is in so many things I like. Plus I really missed my wheat beer and Kashi products. I definitely feel for people who need to avoid it for health reasons, and wish the rest of you good luck with this.
  • grassette
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but I quit this over the weekend. It's just too much trouble to avoid wheat as it is in so many things I like. Plus I really missed my wheat beer and Kashi products. I definitely feel for people who need to avoid it for health reasons, and wish the rest of you good luck with this.

You are right. It is indeed a challenge, and why this one is so short! I am not following as stringent diet as that for those with celiac disease, and the challenge itself is not that strict. It's just about avoiding wheat and seeing if we see noticeable benefits from that exercise over a two week period.

The benefit for me so far is a much flatter stomach, as I no longer bloat. The bloating gave me a pregnant look that went beyond the spot where the tape measure goes. I am glad to have found the cause of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in week two.