No one thinks I'm Hispanic

Options
124»

Replies

• crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Wow. OP was from last year. Super thread resurrection.

I can understand, though. I am Asian and white mixed and no one can tell I'm Asian or white; they all—funnily enough—think I'm Hispanic. (I get Lebanese a lot, too.) It does twist you a bit inside when you really love your culture and roots and people get it all wrong. It's something I think most people don't really get unless they're in your shoes. So I get it, but at the same time, it's not worth obsessing over and beating yourself up over. The problem lies with other people's assumptions. What salxtai said was on-spot.

I, too, am often mistaken for being Hispanic... though Latin is one of the few cultures/heritages/descents I don't have coursing through my veins... so much, in fact, that I've been accused of 'denying my heritage' when folks have approached me and asked a question in Spanish, and I tell them I don't speak Spanish. I then like to add that I likely understand more Cantonese than Spanish... just to torture their prejudiced minds a little...
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I, too, am often mistaken for being Hispanic... though Latin is one of the few cultures/heritages/descents I don't have coursing through my veins... so much, in fact, that I've been accused of 'denying my heritage' when folks have approached me and asked a question in Spanish, and I tell them I don't speak Spanish. I then like to add that I likely understand more Cantonese than Spanish... just to torture their prejudiced minds a little...

I thought I was the only one! It's the main reason it bothered me to be mistaken for Hispanic. They get offended when I say I don't speak Spanish because they assume I must speak it because I'm apparently of that culture...?! Luckily, this doesn't happen so much anymore, though in a recent group project of mine, a couple of girls seemed to get offended and confused that I didn't understand anything about Mexican culture before they found out I'm not Mexican.... -sigh-
  • imchelseap
    Options
    The Hispanic women I know are usually dark tan, large hips, dark brown/black hair, brown eyes, wavy hair, wider nose, well endowed chest, but you have to remember Christina Aguilara claims shes hispanic and shes pasty with blond hair.

Yea Christina does NOT look hispanic...but I mean if you ever seen any Novelas you would realize that PERHAPS hispanics come in literally, many shapes and sizes and looks and colors.

Actually in telenovelas, more than 90% of the actors & actresses there are White, blond-haired & blue eyed. Its rare that you can find a brown one there beside those who have maid or janitor roles.
    In the Novelas i watch the women are all different looks.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

I thought I was the only one! It's the main reason it bothered me to be mistaken for Hispanic. They get offended when I say I don't speak Spanish because they assume I must speak it because I'm apparently of that culture...?! Luckily, this doesn't happen so much anymore, though in a recent group project of mine, a couple of girls seemed to get offended and confused that I didn't understand anything about Mexican culture before they found out I'm not Mexican.... -sigh-

Not all Hispanics can speak Spanish especially when you're born & live in a non Spanish speaking country. I'm Spanish-Mexican from my Dad's side & I was born in Philippines (my mom is Filipina) which is an Asian country & while I speak Spanish but my cousins don't speak nor understand it aside from the basic words. I'm happen to have Mexican blood but a Hispanic isn't limited to just Mexicans. As far as looks is concerned, there is no definite look unlike Asians or Blacks who have a distinctive look but even still there are some Asian communities in Latin America particularly in Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Argentina & Brazil. I may look like your stereotypical one with dark brown hair, deep big eyes & brown skin but I have been mistaken for an Indian (from India) a lot & when I tell them that I have Spanish Mexican blood, sometimes these people got shocked like WTF are you talking about. By the way the lady in my ticker is me & the guy on the left is my boyfriend who is a Spaniard, a White Hispanic. Obviously we don't look alike but were both Hispanic (not to offend Filipinos who are reading this thread but I identify more with my Hispanic side than the Filipino one)

Honestly this definition is way off especially to those Latin Americans who don't have any Spanish in them & to those who are technically one but couldn't identify themselves with the culture (such as Jessica Alba)
  • HeidiJ810
    HeidiJ810 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone who meets me for the first time thinks that I am Hispanic or of some kind of latin decent, but I am white. Embracing and sharing your culture is not about looks or appearance :)
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Beautiful..:smile:
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Dark hair, brown eyes, lovely skin with more pigment than someone from, say Scotland.
    This made me giggle because my "hispanic" herritage from Mexico are actually settlers from Scotland. Most of my realitives are blue, or green eyed, with blond, or light brown hair.

Op: it really depends on what's in your genes. People ask me "What I am" all the time. It's rude, but I really don't care. I was born in the U.S.A. & live in the U.S.A. I usually leave them guessing, or just tell them I'm American.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    lol why is this under food and nutrition? lol
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Heaven.

of course. for a better example please see my photo, or SinIsIn, or Latinacutie
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    lol why is this under food and nutrition? lol

I wonder too. I'm guessing that the OP posted this under food & nutrition by accident.
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    This thread is really sad, and its even more sad some of the reponses... how can you be upset people don't know you're hispanic when you yourself don't know what a hispanic is.. why the term was created and what history it was created out of and how 2 people can be hispanic and be two completely different races. Have u ever looked at a census or an application and it says

Black Not of Hispanic descent.
    White Not of Hispanic descent.
    Asian Not of Hispanic descent.

Etc...

All the people mentioning jennifer lopez etc are the problem.. its not YOU! People in general especially Americans and Hispanics need to know what they were created out of and what's behind there name. You shouldn't feel upset for someones ignorance, you just tell them to change their stereotypes and remove the ignorance from there brains.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    lol what the hell?

im sorry but this is the worst thread ever, why does it matter that people dont think your Hispanic? Be glad you dont fit a stereotype.

I'm Hispanic too, people confuse me with all kinds of races or ethnicities or whatever.

oh now that i read some of the posts, yeah this is way old HAHAHA
  • imchelseap
    Options
    lol what the hell?

im sorry but this is the worst thread ever, why does it matter that people dont think your Hispanic? Be glad you dont fit a stereotype.

I'm Hispanic too, people confuse me with all kinds of races or ethnicities or whatever.

oh now that i read some of the posts, yeah this is way old HAHAHA

For some people it matters to look a way they feel they should...No biggie. Does not make it neccesarily a worst thread ever.Just a more personal one.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    People can't tell that I'm a German/Polish/Irish/French mutt either. What does it matter? America's a melting pot, and my predecessors took it literally!
  • imchelseap
    Options
    Almost everyone who meets me for the first time thinks that I am Hispanic or of some kind of latin decent, but I am white. Embracing and sharing your culture is not about looks or appearance :)
    Ya, u appear at least half hispanic..it is a compliment as well since being a latina is considered beautiful to men as well. LOL just saying:)
    I like my looks, I just wish people knew I am latina.
  • HeidiJ810
    HeidiJ810 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ya, u appear at least half hispanic..it is a compliment as well since being a latina is considered beautiful to men as well. LOL just saying:)
    I like my looks, I just wish people knew I am latina.

I do take it as a great compliment. You are beautiful and I am surprised that people can't tell you are latina :)
  • lissymae11
    lissymae11 Posts: 71
    Options
    Honestly, I just browsed your pictures, and I think you look hispanic! Generally I think of dark hair, olive/darker complexion, dark eyes, you know? Of course, there's variety, as with any cultural group.

Sometimes people ask me if I'm hispanic lol (I'm not). I tell them the closest to hispanic that I am is Portuguese, and Portugal is in Europe anyways lol.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just browsed your pictures, and I think you look hispanic! Generally I think of dark hair, olive/darker complexion, dark eyes, you know? Of course, there's variety, as with any cultural group.

Sometimes people ask me if I'm hispanic lol (I'm not). I tell them the closest to hispanic that I am is Portuguese, and Portugal is in Europe anyways lol.
    LOL Spain & Portugal are in Europe, that's what the word Hispanic originated from.
    So yes, there are Hispanics in Europe, the Spanish speaking people of Portugal, and Spain.