Should you exercise if you're sick?

Options
I have the flu/cold/something. I was wondering are you supposed to still exercise when you're sick? I'm also a college student, so part of me wants to sit here and do nothing to get as better as quickly as possible before exams and classes on Monday. Anyone have any experience with this? I certainly don't "feel" like exercising. Will exercising, or not exercising, get me better faster?

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have always heard sweating out the cold through excercise is good if you feel up to it. This is a listen to your body kinda thing. Maybe just take a walk!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Rest. Rest. Rest. Your body will get better faster if you sleep, drink plenty of water and chicken soup, and recharge. Missing a few days at the gym won't hurt but pushing through when your body wants to heal will make the lethargy and symptoms last longer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hard exercise comps your immune system which would take you longer to heal. I say rest. Not to mention if you work out at a gym, you can spread it.
  • rdvincent
    Options
    ditto...REST, your body is working on getting better
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have lupus which means my immune system is compromised and I often feel sick. My doctor's advice has always been that if I'm running a fever not to exercise. I agree listen to your body, and I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've been sick and just taking walks, then sleeping the rest of the day. And drinking as much water as I can!!
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    If you are sick, you need to rest.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I'm a "move as much as I can" type of person. When I'm feeling a little under the weather such as a cold or alergies that will kick my bootie, I will not do my hard cardio, but I will go for a leisurely walk. The fresh air and enjoying the sights can be relaxing and refreshing to your senses. If you are on campus, take a stroll to "people watch". But, you should rest more than usual and drink lots of water.

Save the hard cardio for when you are feeling 100%.