Chicken from Scratch (for real!)

2»

Replies

• janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Save the feet!! When DH does the deed he brings me the feet too. I wash them really well and then boil them with the rest of the bird for the most AMAZING chicken stock you've ever had in your life! So good!

I've heard that chicken stock is way better with the feet in.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    i grew up on a dairy, i dont have a problem eating the animals we raised...granted we had a milking dairy, but we knocked off several beefers a year. mmmm. but we also had chickens. mmmm. and we had pork...i mean pigs and they were especially tasty!
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    They are very cute.
    I would love eating fresh farm eggs :happy:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    I don't support eating meat, but raising your own animals or hunting for wild animals is a million times more humane than buying animals raised in factory farms and sold in the grocery store. At least these chickens will get taken good care of while they are alive instead of being in battery cages... If you can bear to eat a dead animal you should be ok with the process that it goes through to get to you.

I agree! I am vegan, initially for health reasons, but now also for ethical reasons. I definitely agree that these chickies are better off (and will be better for you) than the factory farmed ones that are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.

We did have chickens at one time and we did eat the roosters. Tough old birds (even though they were fairly young when slaughtered). We had so many eggs we were giving them away left and right from our over-exuberant hens. :^)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    We did have chickens at one time and we did eat the roosters. Tough old birds (even though they were fairly young when slaughtered). We had so many eggs we were giving them away left and right from our over-exuberant hens. :^)
    Isn't life great! A toast to the lovely fertility that surrounds us!
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    I have always lived on a farm so this is all just "circle of life" stuff to me. I don't mind doing the head chopping, either. But a couple of years ago, I took my daughters with me to my mom's to help her dress chickens and they were very upset by the whole process and did not eat chicken for a long time. They were 10 and 14 at the time but I guess I didn't realize how removed from the reality of where meat comes from they apparently were.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    It's been interesting reading everyone's replies to this thread! Thank you for weighing in. It seems like people have one of two reactions, huh?

For those who would like to try raising their own meat, I have to say, it's not that bad. A bit shocking if you've never done it before, but pretty much what you'd expect.

For those who eat chicken but don't want to kill their own - thank a farmer for doing it for you! It's messy work. And if you don't know the farmer who raised your chickens, you don't even want to know what they went through to get to your plate. I guarantee you'd rather have the ones that died on my stump.

There are still three birds left, but they'll be dispatched another day. The two I took today were enormous - dressed out at more than seven pounds, which is all that my mother's kitchen scale registered. I'll weigh the birds on my digital scale before I cook them and get a more accurate measurement.

As for the process? Messy! Glad we had a long hose:

washing.jpg

My father showed me the ropes (his family raised all their own food, but it's been quite a while since he slaughtered any chickens). I'll share dinner photos when I have them!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Save the feet!! When DH does the deed he brings me the feet too. I wash them really well and then boil them with the rest of the bird for the most AMAZING chicken stock you've ever had in your life! So good!

Oh, the feet are well washed and ready to go in the stock pot along with the necks and gizzards! Feet make good soup - chicken feet, pig feet, cow feet - if you get your butcher to cut the bigger ones up for you, you can freeze them individually and unwrap one package at a time to add to a pot of soup. Easy peasy!
  • If you have children, don't tell them where dinner came from. My grandfather raised cows, and used to butcher and send them to us, he would write the name of the cow on the package...let's just say I was in therapy for a large part of my life.

My mom killed a chicken once, in front of my then 7yr old brother (now 25). He saw her twist the head and pull and the body run around ...literally like a chicken without a head!!! Needless to say, he didnt want to hold her hand afterwards...or have any chicken soup...:laugh:
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Good for you-- I'd rather eat a home bred chicken than a factory farmed chicken any day. At least it has a good life before its demise :)

I live with landlords who raise chickens, turkeys, etc. and I don't hesitate to eat anything she gives us! I could never do the killng part, though. But I sure enjoy the food!