Reading is driving me to EAT!

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
I have been reading a book called Intuitive Eating. It is talking about learning which foods you like and consciously slowing down to think of the flavor, texture, scent and breaking it down from there... It is making me crave all kinds of foods and thinking about it drives me to eat! I have eaten way more this Sunday i think than most Sundays... I can't wait until I'm done with it... maybe I'll take a break and read a non-diet book?

Replies

• amunet07
    Options
    I have been reading a book called Intuitive Eating. It is talking about learning which foods you like and consciously slowing down to think of the flavor, texture, scent and breaking it down from there... It is making me crave all kinds of foods and thinking about it drives me to eat! I have eaten way more this Sunday i think than most Sundays... I can't wait until I'm done with it... maybe I'll take a break and read a non-diet book?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It helps to realize when you are wanting to eat for eating.. and when you're wanting to eat because you're actually HUNGRY. I go through this in the evenings... I sit down and I guess.... because I'm bored or something I need to be eating something. So, instead I make myself a cup of tea. The act of sitting with the tea and sipping it slowly tends to help.
  • amunet07
    Options
    It helps to realize when you are wanting to eat for eating.. and when you're wanting to eat because you're actually HUNGRY. I go through this in the evenings... I sit down and I guess.... because I'm bored or something I need to be eating something. So, instead I make myself a cup of tea. The act of sitting with the tea and sipping it slowly tends to help.

lol, oddly enough that is the reason I bought the book and the chapter I have just reached in the book.:laugh:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Heh, that is kind of funny!

I really love the idea of intuitive eatting. A long time ago I read a book that told me to pay attention to food cravings and satisfy them (within reason). That concept help bring an end to my binging. Your body really is an amazing machine and it will tell you what it needs. It also tells you how much you need.

The trick is learning to listen to your body... that isn't easy for me!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I read the Janet Evanovich books and there is so much junk food in those I craved everything Stephanie Plum and her sidekick ate. LOL! Diet books always make me hungry same with videos or anything about dieting. Weird huh! :laugh:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I understand...because this happened to me...I read a book called "I Wish I Were Thin, I Wish I Were Fat" and it deals with the underlying reasons why we eat...the book didn't even mention specific foods or anything...it just talked about certain reasons why we eat...and I guess some of them were true because just reading about them made me want to eat!

I wouldn't even recommend the book now that I'm done with it...some of the reasons for overeating seemed totally off the wall and crazy...and the other ones were kind of obvious (i.e. eating because you are bored or depressed). Hopefully you will finish your book soon...maybe just read it on your lunch breaks from work so you can read it while you're eating...and it won't make you eat more than usual? I dunno...but I totally understand what you mean!
  • amunet07
    Options
    Heh, that is kind of funny!

I really love the idea of intuitive eatting. A long time ago I read a book that told me to pay attention to food cravings and satisfy them (within reason). That concept help bring an end to my binging. Your body really is an amazing machine and it will tell you what it needs. It also tells you how much you need.

The trick is learning to listen to your body... that isn't easy for me!

I think that is why I'm doing good with the weight loss here @ MFP. I put in what I want to eat, mix it with some nutrition, exercise and portion control and as long at MFP says I'm at my calorie limit I'm good to go! Before MFP I thought I had to eat very little of "diet" food; it never lasted that long.
  • amunet07
    Options
    I understand...because this happened to me...I read a book called "I Wish I Were Thin, I Wish I Were Fat" and it deals with the underlying reasons why we eat...the book didn't even mention specific foods or anything...it just talked about certain reasons why we eat...and I guess some of them were true because just reading about them made me want to eat!

I wouldn't even recommend the book now that I'm done with it...some of the reasons for overeating seemed totally off the wall and crazy...and the other ones were kind of obvious (i.e. eating because you are bored or depressed). Hopefully you will finish your book soon...maybe just read it on your lunch breaks from work so you can read it while you're eating...and it won't make you eat more than usual? I dunno...but I totally understand what you mean!

Yay! Validation! I'm not crazy! THANK YOU! lol :laugh:
  • amunet07
    Options
    I read the Janet Evanovich books and there is so much junk food in those I craved everything Stephanie Plum and her sidekick ate. LOL! Diet books always make me hungry same with videos or anything about dieting. Weird huh! :laugh:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

LOL!!! ROFLOL I LOVE those books! I can totally understand. Steph and Lula are always eating cheese curls, donuts, fried chicken...