My husband and I just joined

Options
Hi everyone, just navigating the boards tonight! My husband and I both joined, this week! We're both 30somethings with 2 children. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and am also monitored for Lupus. My RA is moderate and affects all of my joints. While I do tend to drop a few pounds during flares, it also can swing in the opposite direciton where it can be a challenge to get (my already overweight frame) down, as I can no longer exercise heavily.. must pace myself. My husband was an avid runner (distance) and is trying to get back on track, after a busy year career-wise. We're both aiming to lose around 25 pounds each and are hoping this will be a great motivator with the tracking tools!. Each pound lost, will decrease pressure on my lower extremities - which will (at least) help out my hip, knee, and ankle joints. The rest of my body... hmm, I'm in it for the long haul. My husband, getting some weight off will help protect him from a strong family history of some really nasty health issues! Particularly, if you have Lupus or RA -- I'd love to have a few other female 'buddies' in the same boat!!

Replies

• pork_belly
    Options
    Welcome to you both. Just wondering what are you doing diet wise? Low cal, low fat, low carbs?
  • ellehun
    Options
    None of the above. Focusing on eating a whole foods diet, eliminating too many sugars. I primarily eat a vegetarian diet. Husband does not. Our struggles are with portion control. We both tend to overdo it! :devil: I also need to improve on including foods that help reduce inflammation, which will help my RA.

Thanks for the welcome. Husband is not a big poster but he'll check in on posts that I write. :wink:
  • jessashcher
    Options
    welcome, I think this site is great, I have been using it for 2 weeks now and I am basically eating alot better, I count my calories so I don't go over 1200 a day and I found that looking at the calories on the food I seem to be choosing much healthier foods this way. Best of luck to you and your husband.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to both of you. :flowerforyou:
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis though it is osteo not rheumatoid,had 2 partial knee replacements 2 years ago,this site has been a miracle for me and I am feeling so much better since I have lost some of the weight I am looking forward to a much better healthier life.Good luck to you both I am sure you can do it this site is amazing.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • ellehun
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

I also have some osteo in my lower spine, neck area, and knees, glen. Much too young for all of this!

We both like the food log tools. Makes it really easy! He has the app loaded on his iPod??

jessa - that's fantastic!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    None of the above. Focusing on eating a whole foods diet, eliminating too many sugars. I primarily eat a vegetarian diet. Husband does not. Our struggles are with portion control. We both tend to overdo it! :devil: I also need to improve on including foods that help reduce inflammation, which will help my RA.

Thanks for the welcome. Husband is not a big poster but he'll check in on posts that I write. :wink:

Check your local library for the book "The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet" by Robb Wolf. It has some interesting information.