thyroid test results...

just looked at my thyroid test results online. normal tsh ranges from .5-5.5 at kaiser. under.5 in considered hyper (overactive-jittery, rapid hr, anxiety, unexplained weight loss) and over 5.5 is hypo (underactive-sluggish, chronic fatigue, foggy brain, muscle weakness, slow metabolism). my magic number is...20.11! it's a wonder i was able to lose any weight let alone 30lbs! still gonna workout the same but hopefully the weight will come off at a steadier pace once my levels even out. can't wait until i'm 100% me again! but on the plus side, no high blood pressure, pre-diabetes or high cholesterol. and their scale gave almost the same weight as my scale at home. :bigsmile:

Replies

• I'm hypo too you'll be just fine good luck.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    it'll take about 3 weeks for teh meds to kick in so be patient. also, incase the pharmacist forgets to tell you don't eat between 30 mins to an hour after taking the meds. i was told 30 mins but some people have been told one hour. and that's a firm requirement, not a suggestion. lol sometimes they forget to tell you (like my mom) and the meds really don't work properly then.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 926 Member
    do you have to take anything for that? or just it just even out?
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    You can do it!!Lets hear it for feeling 100% again. :) I'm getting there. I'd been not handling my blood pressure meds and especially when they increased me dose and I got back on daily anti-histamine(Claritin prescribed "loratidine" generic) and reactions shot the roof. I was having heart palpitations, shortness of breath and full on panic/anxiety attacks of it. I've never had much anxiety but read of many people that had the same issues while on it daily. Some even after ONE pill. My heart rate tends to be high with my blood pressure to begin with but its been hell. Now I'm still have dizziness but I don't panic and freak out so much like I was when I was taking that pill. So fortunate I don't have diabetes or even pre-diabetes. They like to consider me there because my mom is diabetic(type 2) and my dad was having sugar elevations but seems to have it under control with supplements and diet. I just want to get my BP normalized without meds so I can be med free again and free of their hassle(taking) and side effects driving me crazy(quite literally as with my previous mix).

The weight drop will help so much and I know that it is the key to health again. I've got to work hard to get 30 lbs off too. I know it will reduce my bp alone right there. 40 lbs and I have no doubt it would be a safe high normal. It did in previous years when I got down to that weight range. Two goals other than the obvious weight loss is lowered bp(without meds) and lowered triglycerides which are a couple points over high but otherwise good cholesterol.
  • misslyssa319
    misslyssa319 Posts: 186 Member
    it'll take about 3 weeks for teh meds to kick in so be patient. also, incase the pharmacist forgets to tell you don't eat between 30 mins to an hour after taking the meds. i was told 30 mins but some people have been told one hour. and that's a firm requirement, not a suggestion. lol sometimes they forget to tell you (like my mom) and the meds really don't work properly then.

i know how to take since i've been hypo since i was 13. just didn't have insurance again until now! but thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Kudos to you it's a wonder you could even function with that level.
  • misslyssa319

yes. i'm taking levothroid once a day. after taking for a while they will recheck levels and decide if i need to take more or less. it's a constant balancing act.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member

yes, you have to take meds and you have to keep getting tested to make sure they are regulated properly, but it is oh so worth it.

Glad you have the insurance you need to get on the meds again. Good luck with your weight loss it will be much easier now, I know from experience.
  • misslyssa319
    You can do it!!Lets hear it for feeling 100% again. :) I'm getting there. I'd been not handling my blood pressure meds and especially when they increased me dose and I got back on daily anti-histamine(Claritin prescribed "loratidine" generic) and reactions shot the roof. I was having heart palpitations, shortness of breath and full on panic/anxiety attacks of it. I've never had much anxiety but read of many people that had the same issues while on it daily. Some even after ONE pill. My heart rate tends to be high with my blood pressure to begin with but its been hell. Now I'm still have dizziness but I don't panic and freak out so much like I was when I was taking that pill. So fortunate I don't have diabetes or even pre-diabetes. They like to consider me there because my mom is diabetic(type 2) and my dad was having sugar elevations but seems to have it under control with supplements and diet. I just want to get my BP normalized without meds so I can be med free again and free of their hassle(taking) and side effects driving me crazy(quite literally as with my previous mix).

The weight drop will help so much and I know that it is the key to health again. I've got to work hard to get 30 lbs off too. I know it will reduce my bp alone right there. 40 lbs and I have no doubt it would be a safe high normal. It did in previous years when I got down to that weight range. Two goals other than the obvious weight loss is lowered bp(without meds) and lowered triglycerides which are a couple points over high but otherwise good cholesterol.

i've always been lucky with my bp and glucose being in the normal range. but i did end up in the hospital once because my bp was so low and i went into a-fib for 3 days and it was all because my thyroid was off. but you got this sweetie! here's to getting you off meds! :drinker:
  • ilike2run
    ilike2run Posts: 34 Member
    Hate to burst anyone's TSH bubble, but 24 years of nursing has taught me that adding thyroid medication changes very little when it comes to weight...it accounts for ABOUT 5-7 lbs maybe. I have not seen one person get on thyoid medication and have a dramatic change in their weight. I may take some guff for this...sorry guys, gotta calls em like I see em.
    I DO however see real changes in reall people with real health problems when they commit to a healthy lifestyle...looking at your ticker, I'd say you are well on your way to living that!!! Good luck on your journey.
  • misslyssa319
    Hate to burst anyone's TSH bubble, but 24 years of nursing has taught me that adding thyroid medication changes very little when it comes to weight...it accounts for ABOUT 5-7 lbs maybe. I have not seen one person get on thyoid medication and have a dramatic change in their weight. I may take some guff for this...sorry guys, gotta calls em like I see em.

i know it's not going to make me lose weight but it will help with the constant fatigue, muscle weakness, joint pain, light headedness, etc. so i can workout more efficiently and that is why the weight loss will happen. been at this since i was 13. but thanks for clueing everyone else in.
  • You're right! It is a constant balancing act when you're trying to get hypothyroidism in check. I was diagnosed at 27 after gaining over 60 lbs. in three months for no reason. It was odd and scary...I hadn't changed any of my life patterns. I was so depressing. However, life goes on and now I will be 36 in less than a month...and I've managed to live a healthy life and control any increases in meds.

Since you mentioned you had gaps in you insurance history....I will tell you this. Be careful. I got pregnant with my son when I was 31 (after never being able to conceive) and had him when I was 32.....THE KICKER!!!....I was on birth control, hadn't missed any pills, had been on birth control since I met my spouse over one year before, and still got pregnant.

I was switching jobs and was in between insurance coverage. Due to the one month lack of coverage I skipped purchasing my hypo-thyroid medication...hence purchasing my birth control (lol). So....I didn't take my hypo-thyroid meds for that month. Well.....Momma ended up PG on birth control pills!!! The doctor said the fluctuation in my hormones from not taking my hypo-thyroid meds was probably the culprit.

It was the biggest, best, most wonderful mistake I've ever made in my life, but I was ready and willing for the consequences of not knowing what not taking my hypo-thyroid meds might do.

However, if you're not ready....take warning and don't make the same (for me, wonderful) mistake I did!!!
  • misslyssa319
    It was the biggest, best, most wonderful mistake I've ever made in my life, but I was ready and willing for the consequences of not knowing what not taking my hypo-thyroid meds might do.

However, if you're not ready....take warning and don't make the same (for me, wonderful) mistake I did!!!

i've my tubes tied for almost 16 years so i better not end up preggo! i was still totally fertile no matter what. i had 3 kids in 4 years by the time i was 25 and told my hubby it was either tie my tubes or seperate beds! but a friend of mine tried for 6 years, found out she was hypo, went on meds and was preggo in 3 months. it's totally random who gets what symptoms.
  • Kudos to you it's a wonder you could even function with that level.

I just got results back with a TSH of 94. My dosage at the time was obviously not cutting the mustard so I got bumped up 2 doses and will retest blood work in ~90 days.

When I was originally diagnosed my levels were in the EIGHT HUNDREDS. Its not an exciting life, let me tell you haha
  • Wow! That goes to show you how different it messes with womens' hormones. Good luck with your meds...it takes a while, but you will feel so much better. Once my doc got my meds right it was odd how much better I felt....you really don't realize how bad you feel until you feel better (and can look back).
  • misslyssa319
    [/quote]
    I just got results back with a TSH of 94. My dosage at the time was obviously not cutting the mustard so I got bumped up 2 doses and will retest blood work in ~90 days.

When I was originally diagnosed my levels were in the EIGHT HUNDREDS. Its not an exciting life, let me tell you haha
    [/quote]

ouch! glad you're on the mend. i remember days where i would get up, take the kids to school, go back to sleep, pick them up, take a nap, make dinner, go to bed then start the process all over again. and i've been know to sleep through a weekend. and people don't understand 'cus you don't look sick...
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member

i know it's not going to make me lose weight but it will help with the constant fatigue, muscle weakness, joint pain, light headedness, etc. so i can workout more efficiently and that is why the weight loss will happen. been at this since i was 13. but thanks for clueing everyone else in.

That is exactly what I meant, when you barely have the energy to drag your body out of bed, it is hard to do the exercise necessary for healthy weight loss, but once you have your thyroid regulated and your energy is back up it is a WHOLE different story.
  • misslyssa319

That is exactly what I meant, when you barely have the energy to drag your body out of bed, it is hard to do the exercise necessary for healthy weight loss, but once you have your thyroid regulated and your energy is back up it is a WHOLE different story.

right! and i would also like my hair to stop falling out, skin to stop peeling, nails to stop breaking, ankles to stop swelling and blues to stop popping up at the worst times. i'm gonna be me again if i gotta take someone out with me! :tongue: