Male Models

Options
We love them right? But lately I've noticed a new direction they're taking....

Back in the 90's there was Chip'n'Dales, Man DownUndwer and Man Power and all the guys boasted ripped, tonned, bulbous muscles and defined bodies. Magazine adverts had them with their tight bodies, short back and sides haircut and beautifully tanned bodies;
But now...

seems like 2000 brought a new face (or should I say BODY) to male modeling.
Thin, toneless, shapless 'boys' with white skin and long messy hair.
In the adverts and runways I've seen, it's all about androgony and having to think twice 'is that a guy or a girl'
Is this the start of a new trend - and can it be fatel to these lads who take it too far??
Is the slimmer's desease going to be the new gym work out while girls are obeying Beyonce and craving their curves.

Role reversal??

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's because marketing on just about everything these days is geared toward teenagers and aging moms. Those two demographics pretty much rule everything we see.

I, for one, miss man-fur. And since I'm 26, I totally missed that boat. WHERE'S ALL THE MAN-FUR!?

:laugh:

Seriously. I want it.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love that look. I despise chest and stomach hair etc and think overly bulging muscles are off-putting.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I love that look. I despise chest and stomach hair etc and think overly bulging muscles are off-putting.

I wonder if you'll still feel that way in a few years... I have no reason to think you won't but just a curious thought. Also, it's interesting to wonder if your preferences are, in any way, linked to all the scrawny hairlessness that's been so aggressively marketed at your age group. Not that I'm a hundred years older than you or anything. I just have a primal "men ought to look like men" aesthetic approach. And even people my age and slightly older seem to prefer the boy-bodies, too. I share preferences with much older women, in this regard, it seems. Fascinating.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I wonder if you'll still feel that way in a few years... I have no reason to think you won't but just a curious thought. Also, it's interesting to wonder if your preferences are, in any way, linked to all the scrawny hairlessness that's been so aggressively marketed at your age group. Not that I'm a hundred years older than you or anything. I just have a primal "men ought to look like men" aesthetic approach. And even people my age and slightly older seem to prefer the boy-bodies, too. I share preferences with much older women, in this regard, it seems. Fascinating.

Do I qualify as a "much older woman"? (Kinda hope not but looking at the numbers I could be your mom... both of you.)

Anyway, I agree with McKayMachina... I love a man who looks like a man. Great chest, nice arms... not the "scrawny hairlessness" of men today. Bring me a manly man any day...

Tom Selleck is the sexiest man on the planet (even if he is old) and there's no one today who can capture that sexy "guy-ness" like he can.

Oh, and for the record, those big muscled freaks (like Arnold in the 80's or even now) are not appealing... and have no chest hair.