Just joined a new gym - embarrassed

Options
Hi

Not sure if anyone feels the same. I have joined a new gym, used to use it 5 years agao, but moved and went to a different gym. Anyway, back and have my induction on Tuesday with a fitness instructor. I am reallyy embarrassed about the amount I now weigh, 16.4 and haver just signed up to here and will be counting cals as from tomorrow.

I know I have made a good step forward but don't want to feel so ashamed as I see the instructor.

Anyone else counting cals?

N x

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you live near Bristol, I will go with you!!

To be honest when I am at the gym, I look around, but to be honest I dont see anyone as I am thinking about my next set and how much effort I can put into it xx

Also I love this site! It is amazing and the advice on food is amazing xx
  • Selly7749
    Options
    don't feel embarrassed - a good instructor will support and encourage you, and you've nothing to be ashamed off, you're taking positive steps to change your health, body and life. Everymtime you walk into that gym you should feel full of pride and really happy, cus you're making a positive change - and that's fantastic :)
  • kristarablue
    Options
    The first time is the hardest, but damn it, you are there to get into shape...OWN IT!!! Why are you waiting for tomorrow to start, why not just start today girl don't give yourself excuses or tell yourself you have to wait for a magical time just do it...just a thought...oh and after a couple months, you will have more confidence at the gym, each time you go you will feel like you belong a little more.
  • LuckyBumblebee
    Options
    I completely get you!

I just joined a gym and in half an hour I'm going to my first class.... And I feel so embarressed cos I know my size (I'm about 115kg) and I know how easily I sweat, and the horror of ppl looking at me :S

But figured I have to go thru this to begin my 'journey' to a slimmer, healthier self... So off I go to the class :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started @ nearly 500 lbs. I was very embarassed of my size and weight. I would sign up to meet with the fitness trainer but never went. I'd always go super early in the AM to avoid people. 3 or so months in I was in a hurry to get early before others would show up @ the gym. I wear contacts and in my hurry to get to the gym I didn't wash my hands very well so after 5 mins of being @ the gym my eyes burned. I went to the bathroom removed the contacts and went back.

I couldn't see very well and because of it I was slow. People started showing up and I guess it helped that I couldn't see. I got over my embarassment. I now been doing Zumba class with about 30 peeps. 2 guys, I am one of them and the rest girls. picture a 300+ lbs 6'3 man. I look like a drunk ape, attempting to tap dance with roller skates on. and I am having a blast. I been going weekly now.
  • Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks for the offer, but I am in Essex. I think once I get used to it agaiin and start loosing weight I will start feeling bettte. Its just that initial feeling of going the way I am. x
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    dont feel embarassed! you are all there for the same reason! im sure you will come across people much bigger than you in there, and they will probably feel much more paranoid and embarassed than what you will feeel. just take no notice of the others in the same room as you, take some music and off you go :) i started gym at my heaviest which was 16stone 6.. I had everybodys eyes on me, but i didnt let them make me feel uncomfortable whilst working out. its for your own benefit, no one elses. As soon as you take a few trips to the gym you wont feel as embarassed
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Thanks. I will try and switch off from feeling embarrassed, lol. x
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym, there 's this really hot guy that works there (and a few more good lookin' fellas that are weight lifting), but I don't let that get deter me from what I gotta do. I plug in my ear phones crank up the volume, and sweat it out to the max - focus on you and only you. And the ladies that are already in shape, I just look at them with inspiration with the hopes that i will look that good VERY soon hehe. Just like some of the folks on here and in the gym who had success they were in the same boat as we are now, if they can do it, you & I can do it :-)

I'm mostly focused on counting calories.
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Thanks Kris, Sophia and Lacrolix too.

Lacrolix, you did make me laugh with the contact. Good on you, feeliing inspire now. Have signed up to my first Aqua Class Tuesday and then Zumba on Thursday night, going for a swim tomorrow as well and the induction after my Aqua class on Tuesday. I think if I just go the whole hog and throw myself into it, I'll beat the embarrassment.

Sophia, as you say, once the music goes, you are off on your own following anyway.

Lucky Bumble, we are both new then.I sweat loads too and as a woman, its not the nicest thing to see, lol. So towel will be in hand with a big bottle of water.

Thanks everyone for your kind messages, xx
  • Dee120hb
    Options
    Never feel embarassed! Everyone who goes to a gym is there for a reason, and people respect that. You're there for your health and well-being, and that is nothing to feel shy about! Be proud!
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Thanks Brooklyn. It is a huge gym, with 3 workout gyms.and 2 fitness class areas, plus a pool, so I will move about a bit, a bit of eye candy might be quite nice ;).

x
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Thanks Dee. I will feel good I know once I've started going a bit and seeing the changes. Really looking forward to it now.x
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Thanks Selly, AQ. I know I will enjoy it and feel much better once I start going x
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lacrolix, you are the BOMB. What a special person you are. Go get 'em, Tiger.
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As for Lov3lif3, it seems as though many people had the same, great message of support for you. I'll give this to you as well: Go get 'em, Tiger.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was a trainer. I told him I was embarrased to go to the gym as people would be looking at me.

He said "No worries, they are too busy looking at themSELVES to worry about YOU!!" :laugh:

I hear his voice to this day when I go to the gym!

GOOD YOU for signing up! Very very proud of you:drinker:
  • kirsty0911
    kirsty0911 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I joined they gym a little while ago but before that, I started going to the Legs,Bums and Tums and the Bodycombat classes there. I was 15stone 4 at the time. I felt embarrassed but by the time the class had started I had forgotten all about it! Honestly, everyone is there for a reason - to work out! They won't look at you any differently.
    When I started the gym I was cared i'd be the fattest person there. I can't even tell you if I was or not - I was too busy working out to look at anyone else!

Good luck, you can do it!
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see very well and because of it I was slow. People started showing up and I guess it helped that I couldn't see. I got over my embarassment. I now been doing Zumba class with about 30 peeps. 2 guys, I am one of them and the rest girls. picture a 300+ lbs 6'3 man. I look like a drunk ape, attempting to tap dance with roller skates on. and I am having a blast. I been going weekly now.
    [/quote]

For what it's worth, I would love to see more guys in the gym like you! You sound like a lot of fun!
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Wow, there is so much fab support on here, thank you Likeapheonix, Crafty, Arewethereyet and Kirsty. I like the quote Arewethere yet, frfom your friend, Everyone is too busy to look at YOU!! lol. I'll take that with me tomorrow when I go swimming and all week at the classes too x