Benefit of Exercise calories if you have to eat them?

Options
I'm kindof starting to wonder, "If I have to eat my exercise calories, then why exercise?" Don't get me wrong, I know this is true because I was in starvation mode and at a plateau after only one week. The day after I started to eat my exercise calories I started dropping weight again. But It kindof takes the zip out of my motivation, if I have to eat those calories back into my body. The weight then cannot come off any quicker, right? If so, other than becoming healthier, does it help my body burn more calories per day or how does that work?

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm kindof starting to wonder, "If I have to eat my exercise calories, then why exercise?" Don't get me wrong, I know this is true because I was in starvation mode and at a plateau after only one week. The day after I started to eat my exercise calories I started dropping weight again. But It kindof takes the zip out of my motivation, if I have to eat those calories back into my body. The weight then cannot come off any quicker, right? If so, other than becoming healthier, does it help my body burn more calories per day or how does that work?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from...as lately I've been having a terrible time motivating myself to get exercising...however, I can tell you that when you exercise, you have more energy, you build muscle which helps to burn calories, exercise keeps your heart in good condition and helps to keep your attitude balanced (as someone who suffers with depression this is a big one)...When I exercised I was able to walk up a set of stairs without huffing and puffing...now that it's been awhile since I last exercised, I am noticing that I am always tired, have no energy, and I'm huffing and puffing when I go up the stairs again...so it's important for so many reasons other than burning calories!
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    OMG Laura! You have lost 59 pounds? Did you do it all with myfitnesspal?
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Laura pretty much summed it up in my eyes but I also think it is because this is lifestyle change and not a diet, exercise provides us with extra calories for those little eating splurges.
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Heart healthy! Just remember that the excercise we do makes us stronger and healthier! It's not gonna always be about losing the weight!
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from...as lately I've been having a terrible time motivating myself to get exercising...however, I can tell you that when you exercise, you have more energy, you build muscle which helps to burn calories, exercise keeps your heart in good condition and helps to keep your attitude balanced (as someone who suffers with depression this is a big one)...When I exercised I was able to walk up a set of stairs without huffing and puffing...now that it's been awhile since I last exercised, I am noticing that I am always tired, have no energy, and I'm huffing and puffing when I go up the stairs again...so it's important for so many reasons other than burning calories!
    by the way Laura, I LOVE your new picture!! You are beautiful!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    OMG Laura! You have lost 59 pounds? Did you do it all with myfitnesspal?

Yes, I lost it all with MFP...and you will find lots of other people on here who have lost much more than I have using just healthy eating and exercise as well. I think Tam is down 134 pounds now...
    by the way Laura, I LOVE your new picture!! You are beautiful!

Awww thank you so much!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I stopped exercising because I didn't "have" too. Then I realized I had no energy, craved food I "couldn't have" and was miserable because I was dealing with seasonal depression and couldn't kick it!

For me, working out gives me energy, allows me to eat more, and gives me "me time." I don't show any signs of seasonal depression and I'm not sleeping away my afternoons because I can't keep my eyes open! Exercising is more than "losing weight."
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Its true that if you dont exercise you dont have to eat the extra calories, but you miss out on what exercise does for your body. Excerising releases hormones that make you happy, not to mention its how you build lean muscle and tone up the "flabby" parts of your body. Eating healthy is only half the battle to losing weight.

Maybe set mini goals for yourself to get you motivated. For example:

If I go to the gym at least 3x a week each week, at the end of the month, ill buy myself a new shirt or pair of jeans. (Chances are, that by the end of the month ill be wearing a new size too so its EXTRA motivation to get back at the gym!)
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Its true that if you dont exercise you dont have to eat the extra calories, but you miss out on what exercise does for your body. Excerising releases hormones that make you happy, not to mention its how you build lean muscle and tone up the "flabby" parts of your body. Eating healthy is only half the battle to losing weight.

Maybe set mini goals for yourself to get you motivated. For example:

If I go to the gym at least 3x a week each week, at the end of the month, ill buy myself a new shirt or pair of jeans. (Chances are, that by the end of the month ill be wearing a new size too so its EXTRA motivation to get back at the gym!)

I'm almost in a size 16 and I did find some size 16 pants and a top on sale at Maurices last week. I had missed that crucial link. I hadn't gone as far as to think 4 weeks = 8 pounds. Isn't ten pounds supposed to be about a pant size? I think eight pounds should do it, and get me into a size 16. Now I just need to figure the date and put it in my blackberry with reminders to keep me going!

Thanks so much for responding. BTW, the bikini picture is me at age 32 in my yard. Then I started losing pregnancies and ate away my feelings... now I'm 80 pounds heavier. I CAN DO THIS!
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people, but for the record- I dont eat my exercise cals! Do what works for you!!
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all mine, only when I feel I need too. It makes it nice if I'm out eating somewhere and I want a little more and I know I can because I exercised. Most of the time I leave it alone.

Pat :smile: