Don't skip the yolk!

Options
A lot of people always skip the yolk in eggs because of Health reasons but this is a good article...The yolk is healthy!

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2011/09/14/ask-he-should-you-eat-just-the-egg-white/?soc=fbhe

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat eggs, and I eat eggs a lot, I use one whole egg and add whites to that.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. I like how it suggest one full egg with a couple egg whites. I will have to do that because I sure do miss having the yolk.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    That's my favorite part! I usually skimp on the whites and go for the yolk, lol.
  • lupemele
    Options
    I know a lot of people at work our always skipping the yolk and I had read a while back in another article not to skip it....so I keep eating them...I love boiled eggs!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Good article. It is also a good idea to buy them locally (non factory farmed) and freshly laid if possible (no hormones etc).
  • kristarablue
    Options
    But I don't like the yolk...icky...icky...icky
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    I try to have at least one egg every day but sometimes two! The yolk is my favorite part :)
    As gross as it sounds, I eat them Rocky-style. Unlike most of the world, I don't like cooked eggs (yes, I'm familiar with salmonella). I honestly haven't looked into the chemical and structural differences between raw and cooked eggs, though. Does anyone know about this? I'm a chemistry/biology student so I really should know. I'm going to look it up now, lol.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    But I don't like the yolk...icky...icky...icky

This. Yolks are gross.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I ate a dozen eggs per week, including the yolk, when I used to train for cross country mountain biking. I had regular medicals and was often told my cholestral was borderline LOW. Then they went through my diet and told me I neded to cut down my eggs to two or three a week. LOL.

I'm back to eating 10-12 eggs a week and really don't think there are any health risks when combined with a regular exercise plan.

I also read elsehwere that the "high cholestral" in eggs is now thought to be "good cholestral" so actually not a contributer to heart problems.

Who knows. I think the energy, protein, vitamins and minerals contained in eggs are all natural and all beneficial to my diet.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I never skip the yolk... always eat em whole.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had this argument last night. Had to copy the link to show him.

My husband was saying that eating yoke was bad and I had to bring up the Taco Bell he had earlier. Seriously?!
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I never skip the yolks; egg whites alone don't sound good to me at all!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat eggs, and I eat eggs a lot, I use one whole egg and add whites to that.

That's what I do.I don't like the yolks much, and I don't have a lot of calories to play with, even at maintenance. That way I get a lot of protein without the cals.
  • lupemele
    Options
    I totally agree! I LOVED that I found this article because everyone at work gets crazy with this discussion and they are all about egg whites and skipping the yolk! I agree with you! the whole office stinks of egg whites alone! yuk! Now I'm going to love to go in 2mw morning and show them this article...I love eggs in all forms :) Yummmmmy!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I love eggs and have often wondered which is the healthiest way to have them. I also usually use 1 whole egg and then a couple egg whites when I make eggs. And during the week I have a hard boiled egg with breakfast. Glad to know that I don't have to change this! :drinker:
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I saw a Registered Dietician last Friday and she said that is exactly the right thing to do. She told me I could have no more than three yolks a week and to take a yolk and add additional egg whites to it and then scramble or cook however I choose. :) This is for the diet she designed for me but I just thought I would add that what you are saying is exactly what she said to me. :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. The cholesterol and saturated fat damning research was fabricated.

http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol#ixzz1XkJRLRpb
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I always eat the egg whole including the yolk despite me having a hypertension. Although the yolk do has high cholesterol but it also has many nutrients that you cannot find in egg whites. For me there's no such thing as good & bad food, as long as you take everything in moderation you'll be fine.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    If I'm forking out for good, organic free range eggs then I'm not going to throw away the yolk - it's too expensive to waste. Liquid gold!

Cheap eggs are a different story...
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. The cholesterol and saturated fat damning research was fabricated.

http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol#ixzz1XkJRLRpb
    Wow! I followed up with Wikipedia articles on ol' Ancel Keys. Interesting history.