Calorie counting and satiety

Options
Since I started counting calories and eating in a specific calorie range, I am always afraid that I will feel hungry and make my food choices specifically to avoid this. Hunger = out of control for me and seriously almost sends me into a panic attack. Since I know that carbs = satiety, when I am afraid that I will be hungry w/a new low cal food combo, I eat carbs along with it. For example, I eat toast w/my egg white omelets to avoid getting hungry in an hour.

This is purely psychological and I have started to challenge my stinking thinking :laugh: . Anyone else have the same psychological hang-up and how do you plan/or how have you overcome this.

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that a fair amount of protein and fat actually make me feel full longer. Too many carbs actually make me hungrier! Interested to see what others say.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm on the protein and large amounts of veggies side. I still eat my carbs, but I'm trying to stay away from the sugar and processed stuff. Not completely managing to at the moment, but that's the theory..
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Add me to the protein/fats list to stay fuller longer! I actually find that a combo of carbs and protein is best for me, with more emphasis on the protein. I try to experiment and make a note of which foods work for me so I remember them for the next time. That's why I love the food diary on MFP! :-) Good luck, I hope you find what works for you!
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Actually, carbs are processed more quickly, so are the nemesis of feeling satisfied. Fats and protein keep you full longer. If you crave carbs, that's a different thing. When you reach for the carbs, get the whole grains, and carbs with fiber. Reach for good fats too. Make yourself a big salad with lots of veggies, some avocado, a little bit of cheese, and a good dressing. You'll feel much better, will feel full, have lots of fiber, lots of vitamins/minerals, and not chalk up too many calories. This is just one example. Remember, healthy fats don't equal you being FAT. They help regulate hormone levels, metabolism, and keep you full longer.