Drunk munchies

Options
what do you feed yourself when you stumble in drunk late atnight?
I don't keep terribly bad foods in thehouse out of fear of drunk binging, so last night (I seem to remember) I cooked some onions and courgette, dropped an egg into it, added sardines in tomato sauce and pit the whole lot on a bed of quinoa.

For my hangover, I've had cornflakes and milk (I usually have muesli) and a plate of apple and blue cheese.

Beats a kebab at any rate!

Replies

• mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    just burn some hard core calories the next day to make up for it, that works for me :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    If I need food after too much drinking, I usually eat some hummus w/ crackers. The bonus is it's already made so I don't have to cook! :drinker:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If we can manage to get past the KFC then most likely buttered toast topped with about an inch of crunchy peanut butter. My body must crave fatty protein to deal with the alchohol, oh why can't it crave salad :sad:
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    How about not getting drunk in the first place? You can enjoy a few beers or glasses of wine or a mixed drink without getting knocked on your *kitten* with a little bit of self control. I drink every day but not to excess. Excess drinking is so bad for anyone on a diet/fitness program. Not only do you lose your self-control, necessary to stay on a diet plan, but it dehydrates you horribly and makes it very hard to do vigorous exercise. Alcohol is loaded with empty calories - they contribute nothing to your nutrition. The more drinks you work into your diet plan, the harder it is to get adequate nutrition from your remaining calorie allowance. You can take a look at my diary to see how I manage.

Some tips on keeping your tippling under control: When socializing, always start your evening with low-calorie or diet drinks - Iced tea with sweetener, diet Coke, 50/50 fruit juice and soda. As the evening wears on, add a splash of flavored or plain vodka to your drinks, but keep track. Have one normal cocktail before you leave. Your friends who are worth having will admire you for it. Volunteer to be the designated driver.

If you like to go clubbing and you know you're going to overdo, adjust your diary for the rest of the week to build up a big enough calorie deficit that you won't blow up your whole plan with a night out.

As far as the munchies are concerned, keep some healthy salty/sweet stuff around. Low calorie potato chips or popcorn. My favorite munchie snack is about 1/3 cup of pistachios and 4 or 5 dried apricots. They're loaded with potassium and the salt helps you ward off the dehydration that comes with drinking. Low fat vanilla yogurt with no-sugar-added jam and granola sprinkles. Sugar free pudding snacks with Cool Whip Free. Sliced red bell peppers with fat free Ranch dressing for dipping. A hard-boiled egg with salt, or deviled eggs made with fat-free Miracle Whip. Pretzels! There are lots of things you can keep around for those late-night munchies!

Love the apple and bleu cheese... one of my favorites! If I wake up with a hangover (which is rare anymore), a nice big glass of Arizona diet green tea or a really cold diet soda hits the spot and helps me readjust for the day.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    just burn some hard core calories the next day to make up for it, that works for me :)

Did you even read my post?
  • kitinboots
    Options
    How about not getting drunk in the first place? You can enjoy a few beers or glasses of wine or a mixed drink without getting knocked on your *kitten* with a little bit of self control. I drink every day but not to excess. Excess drinking is so bad for anyone on a diet/fitness program. Not only do you lose your self-control, necessary to stay on a diet plan, but it dehydrates you horribly and makes it very hard to do vigorous exercise. Alcohol is loaded with empty calories - they contribute nothing to your nutrition. The more drinks you work into your diet plan, the harder it is to get adequate nutrition from your remaining calorie allowance. You can take a look at my diary to see how I manage.

Some tips on keeping your tippling under control: When socializing, always start your evening with low-calorie or diet drinks - Iced tea with sweetener, diet Coke, 50/50 fruit juice and soda. As the evening wears on, add a splash of flavored or plain vodka to your drinks, but keep track. Have one normal cocktail before you leave. Your friends who are worth having will admire you for it. Volunteer to be the designated driver.

Pfffff! If I didn't want to go out and get drunk then I wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with cutting loose and having fun once in a while.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Pfffff! If I didn't want to go out and get drunk then I wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with cutting loose and having fun once in a while.
    [/quote]

^^^^AGREED!^^^^
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't really have this problem, somehow I don't get hungry at all when I drink.

Maybe you could try portioning out some snacks ahead of time for when you get back from drinking?
  • kitinboots
    Options
    I don't really have this problem, somehow I don't get hungry at all when I drink.

Maybe you could try portioning out some snacks ahead of time for when you get back from drinking?

I don't mind my drunk munching - I think I make relatively smart (if not amusing) choices. I know you answered my actual question, but to everyone that didn't, I'm merely asking WHAT you eat, not how to avoid it.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Usually something salty, so nuts or popcorn are always high on my nibbling agenda, or a few oatcakes and hummous if I have the coordination:laugh: :drinker: saves me going for a pile of hot toast and butter :happy:
  • saraann752003
    Options
    We usually plan our "dinner" accordingly. I know that this is horrible, unhealthy etc. but what the hubby and I tend to do on a Friday night is drink a bit earlier than we did in our younger days, and eat right before bed (shocking!!!!) Dinner usually has significant protein and carbs to help prevent feeling like poo the next day.

Honestly, a good one with little effort, if your drunk tummy can handle it is PB on whole wheat bread with a glass of low fat milk... other options we've had over the years, any kind of white, thin crust frozen pizza (red sauce may cause some tummy issues in the morning), frozen white castles with ketchup, 6 inch leftover subway sandwiches, Totinos frozen pizza rolls (now avoided like the plague in out house due to the grease not being processed like we were younger and disastrous mornings), easy mac and cheese with microwaved hot dogs... honestly, diet is thrown to the wind in our house if this happens... it's more about making the next day a functional day.

As far as munching while you are out, just remember to drunk log your food into the diary so you won't forget it!!!

If your planning on things and can manage to have the fun while achieving your goals, have at it. Clubbing burns calories while your dancing, enhances your social life, etc etc etc. Some people accept alcohol as a part of everyday life and some don't. If it is part of your life, then make it work for you!, and toss one back for me!!!