Social pressures

Options
One of my coworkers keeps bringing me snacks, such as pudding cups, swiss cake rolls and other types of delicious, but terrible treats.

I also know that with cooler weather approaching, I will need to learn how to handle myself at holiday functions. My husband likes to talk me into making apple cobbler, and of course, if I see my grandma, she will nag me until I eat everything in sight.

So... does anyone have tips for turning down food from other people? I need to learn to be forceful, but still polite. I also need to learn how to not want these types of things anymore, because I love chocolate, and work is the perfect place to eat it, but I don't want to be working it off later when I get home.

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I would just tell people you're full and eating more would make you physically uncomfortable. I don't think most people would want to make you feel physically bad. :)
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "I'm sorry, my body seems to be having a bad reaction to these kinds of foods right now. Thanks for thinking of me, though." ( the bad reaction being weight gain, being unhealthy, etc.)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Just politely say, "no, thank you" and smile. You don't owe an explanation nor do you need to feel guilty.

You don't need to make stuff up, you just need to politely decline.

:flowerforyou:
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Tell the snack lady your dr says your sliding toward being diabetic, hug grandma and say your love is all i need and teach your husband how to cook. TADA:happy:
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I always try to make it a joke so that the turning down isn't so harsh but they still get that I won't cave

I say things like donuts? You wouldn't like me when i have donuts, I do terrible things my eyes turn green and my pants rip off below the knees, lol

Or something like oooh candy, love it but it is a one way love, we broke up recently and it still is kinda fresh so I really need my "me" time, lol

while I was typing this my husband stick a chocolate cupcake under my nose and was cooing in my ear "mmmmm chocolately goodness" see what I mean, I have had to get good at these things lol
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bring carrots, and grapes, and some apple slices to the coworker and see if she gets the hint. (okay that may be a little evil)
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Usually if I am eating well, eating badly upsets my stomach. Just tell them it might make your stomach upset and you don't want that. Or that you have to stay on goal and that they need to support you in that! A treat now and then is good but the snack lady needs to stop :)
    Bring some healthy treats and share them with her to show her what you now enjoy. Or be nice, accept it, then hide it in the trash..
  • smashleyt
    smashleyt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    haha :) I love these suggestions! I think I will use some of these too!! :)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Tips for avoiding overindulging:
    1) enter the food in MFP BEFORE you eat it. This will show you the effects of what you are considering.
    2) Throw it out when your coworker isn't looking (and cover with other trash so your coworker will not see that you are throwing it out)
    3) Eat some chewing gum when you are tempted. That will give you at least half an hour to avoid temptation.
    4) If I tell someone that I am dieting, they roll their eyes. However, I have had two people close to me die from heart disease and have high cholesteral myself. So if I say that I am working on my cholesteral, people listen. If you do not have health issues like this, feel free to lie, or stretch the truth.
    5) I have light ice cream EVERY NIGHT. It is eaiser during the day to turn down sweets because I know that I will be getting sweets later in the day
    6) Start chewing gum right before you walk into a holiday party. This will give you time before you start munching.
    7) I dont diet on holidays. This season this includes my birthday, husband's birthday, anniversary, thanksgiving, christmas (2 different parties). This is six days, and six days wont kill me to eat a little worse, but still not go overboard.
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers keeps bringing me snacks, such as pudding cups, swiss cake rolls and other types of delicious, but terrible treats.

I also know that with cooler weather approaching, I will need to learn how to handle myself at holiday functions. My husband likes to talk me into making apple cobbler, and of course, if I see my grandma, she will nag me until I eat everything in sight.

So... does anyone have tips for turning down food from other people? I need to learn to be forceful, but still polite. I also need to learn how to not want these types of things anymore, because I love chocolate, and work is the perfect place to eat it, but I don't want to be working it off later when I get home.

Why is she bringing you snacks!? Does she feel guilty because she want's to eat badly and therefore wants to sabotage your good eating habits? Think of it like someone casting a fishing line out to you hoping to snag you in...don't take the bait! Just smile and say "I'm not hungry right now"

Good luck!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did tell my coworker last week that I think she's trying to sabotage me, and she said she "hates" pretty people. LOL. I asked her why she brings me food and she said "because I enjoy it and I want you to enjoy it too." So it's about 50/50 with the reason she brings it. Part of it is that she likes me, but part of it is that if she's going to eat crappy food, she wants me to eat it too.

I like the suggestions here. I will be sure to try them out.