Measurement vs Scale?

Options
Lately I've noticed that I'm not dropping lbs, instead I'm fluxuating between 140 and 143 and have been for the past 2-3 weeks. However, my clothes are fitting looser and I was able to fit into a smaller jean size than when I tried on jeans at the end of August and was still in the 140-143 range. I just bought a measuring tape the other day in hopes that I can see results that way. Does anyone else have a problem with loosing inches and not lbs? When can I expect to see results on the scale as it is kinda discouraging not to see the numbers move at all after weeks of working out and eating healthy.

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Scale numbers are just that: Numbers. What's more important is your body composition / Body Fat %age.

Fat is less dense than Muscle/Lean mass so it takes up less space. Replace a lb of fat with a lb of muscle, and while you won't see the difference on the scale, but you'll see it in how your clothes fit. That's the true measure of visual progress so by all means go by your tape measure and closet fittings over the scale.

Cheers to you! :-)

Edit: The Comparison of Fat to Muscle is analagous to comparing Grapefruits to Oranges. Assume for a second they weigh the same, but there is an obvious size difference between the two. 10 Grapefruit will take up more space than 10 Oranges. Body Fat and Lean mass is the same
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    yea same thing with me over the last month.. measurements are down and im looking more defined and vascular but the scale is killing me :/ i must admit i havent been as strict as i once was but hey progress is progress. as long as your not gaining too much i wouldnt worry about it.. fat loss is a *kitten* that takes time. watch dem calories closer
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    NSV victory, YES!!!
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Losing lbs w/o inches gives u that skinny fat look......inches are more meaningful
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are the only one that see the number on the scale but everyone can see you in your smaller jeans. Forget the scale.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Losing lbs w/o inches gives u that skinny fat look......inches are more meaningful

^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is actually a very good thing.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I rollercoastered for the entire month of August, losing a net of 2.2 pounds. But I lost 1-2 inches all over my body. Then, when September hit, I lost 12 pounds in the first two and a half weeks! I've slowed back down now, but you should be reassured that the numbers will also drop. Congrats on slimming down regardless of the evil scale! :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. The scale is the quickest, instant gratification of our hard work and effort. When that doesn't move, its easy to get discouraged. As long as the inches are lowering, its still all good. :)
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me I been eating a lot better this month and I been doing ripped in 30 I have lost 3 lbs only but almost 13 inches all around !! I hate the scale I try not to weight myself that often but its impssible!! Lol... But hey ima keep doing what I'm doing and I really hope I start seeing results on the scale too! ; )
  • reese1206
    Options
    This
    Scale numbers are just that: Numbers. What's more important is your body composition / Body Fat %age.

Fat is less dense than Muscle/Lean mass so it takes up less space. Replace a lb of fat with a lb of muscle, and while you won't see the difference on the scale, but you'll see it in how your clothes fit. That's the true measure of visual progress so by all means go by your tape measure and closet fittings over the scale.

Edit: The Comparison of Fat to Muscle is analagous to comparing Grapefruits to Oranges. Assume for a second they weigh the same, but there is an obvious size difference between the two. 10 Grapefruit will take up more space than 10 Oranges. Body Fat and Lean mass is the same
  • FitJ1210
    Options

Thanks!
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is what has been happening to me basically all this year. I have not really lost any pounds at all, but I have gone from fitting a solid size 22 to 18 - 20, even some 16's depending on what it is!

We are so programmed to looking at the scale, and I don't like what I see when I look at my scale, but when I look in the mirror, I'm loving it! I can actually see and feel muscles, things that were sagging are starting to lift a little bit, dimples are disappearing, lol! As long as I can see something changing in a good way, I'm ok. And at least this way, others can see it too!