Weight Loss While Breastfeeding

Options
Are there any other nursing moms who are trying to get back into shape?
I gained 45 lbs during my pregnancy with my son, who's now 9 months old. Add the 9 lbs I gained after getting married and my body had a lot of extra weight on its 5' frame.
What has your experience been like? Did you track the calories burned by breastfeeding?

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My baby is almost a year old and I've lost 32 lbs - most of which was when I was breastfeeding. I gave myself an extra 200-300 calories a day and made sure I made wise food choices.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    Hi, i posted something just like this the other day! I have had 4 kids three, just in the last almost 4 years. (one died of sids so we had to start over and then we lost some too) so 7 in all, so needless to say i have gained and the pregnancies have ruined my body and my metabolism. I dont gain too bad prego, but after, while BF i get sooo hungry. between babies, i didnt have time to lose much, i had some success with the Ali diet, but then got prego agian and went off of it. Now i am nursing and i gained 20 lbs since she was born 5 months ago. I'm just so hungry when nursing. So i tried to limit my cals to 1000 or so (being stupid) and all that did was force me to binge at night cuz i was starvin. LOL well THAT didnt work!! so a friend suggested this sight. i lost 3 lbs, then gained it right back even though i was eating 2000 cals a day so i cut it to 1500 and nothing except i had a low supply of breast milk. so im back up to 2000 and am engorged! lol cant win for losin i tell ya! but my doc thinks i have a thyroid problem so going to see him. meanwhile, im going to stick with 2000 cals since that what my milk likes. Someone said that once your baby gets older, like 6 months or more and if you are only BF (no solids needed until 9-12 months) then the weight is supposed to come off fast cuz you're making so much milk, but the baby food companies want to make more $ so they tell you to start solids at 4 months. dont. not needed. love much, gotta go son playing in the tub with water.
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There is an option in food that you can select that will subtract calories from your food diary. I've been doing this, averaging about 1500-1600 in calories. I've lost about 24 or so pounds. Granted my son is 10 months old now. It really hasn't affected my milk as I eat when I'm hungry and when I eat its full of nutritious choices. I make sure to feed my baby before I workout.

It can be done and it can be done safely. I'm not a doc or anything of that nature, but I would wait until you've established a good nursing routine with your baby. Then start slowly and work up. In terms of calories start with just 2000 (as BF'ing can take an extra up to 500 calories, more if twins) So if you start with 2000 technically after feeding baby you are taking in about 1600. If you're still hungry then just take it up 100 calories. Do it with a healthy snack like an apple or veggies.

Basically start out with a certain amount of calories and work your way down slowly. Also workout all you want. That doesn't affect your milk at all. Baby may not like the taste afterwards so maybe top him/her off before you workout.

I hope this makes sense and helps
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You don't need to consume any extra calories while breastfeeding until your baby is 6months old. Then you add 500.
    Which is an "average" of 2500 a day, but from 0-6 months you should still be on your 3rd trimester calorie intake so 2200.
    Obviously women aren't average at all, and 2000 calories a day may make you gain or lose anyway, so just go with the flow more than anything.
    Eat well, don't go hungry and enjoy your time with your baby :)
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You don't need to consume any extra calories while breastfeeding until your baby is 6months old. Then you add 500.
    Which is an "average" of 2500 a day, but from 0-6 months you should still be on your 3rd trimester calorie intake so 2200.
    Obviously women aren't average at all, and 2000 calories a day may make you gain or lose anyway, so just go with the flow more than anything.
    Eat well, don't go hungry and enjoy your time with your baby :)
    Red... According to my lactation consultants, doctors, and LLLI you do burn up to 500 calories breastfeeding from day one. As baby gets older and you don't breastfeed as much you tend to not burn as many calories to make the milk. This is why at first you are so tired and hungry is because your body is working hard to produce the calories needed for the milk. I've experienced this with both my children. Now you don't need to add in the calories you burn from breastfeeding if you don't want too. However if you're a counter of calories then its best to note what you burn and make the right choices in eating cause you're body will need that in the beginning. If you don't get enough the calorie content of your milk can suffer. However there are also some lactation consultants out there that may say the calories you take in may not truely affect your milk, however you have to keep in mind that too little calories for a extended period will effect your supply.

If anything I would recommend speaking with a lactation consultant or your pediatrician or even your OB on what is best for your body. This is what I've experienced, read, and talked with doctors about. I am looking at becoming a doula so I've been reading a lot and I do a lot of other research as well to make sure I'm not giving the wrong info.

Red everyone is different and you're right eat well and don't go hungry.