Whats your Body Fat %

Options
Im confused! A couple of weeks ago when I went to see the trainer, I had my body fat measured again via four point calipers. He got 29% ... which places me in the acceptable range. I still have a ton of fat on my body (at least I think so) ... but according to the scales I am no longer "overweight".

I started out with 47% body fat and 276 pounds. I currently have 29% body fat and weigh 236 pounds.
Does this make sense to anyone? According to the evaluation I have 169 pounds of lean body mass.

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes... you started at 276 with 47% body fat... meaning you had 146 lbs of lean body mass and 130 lbs of fat

Now at 236 with 29% body fat... you have 168 lbs of lean body mass and 68 lbs of body fat

Meaning you have had an INCREDIBLE transformation! Good job :)
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Im at 10% right now
  • rice161
    Options
    Don't really know too much about what they SHOULD be doing so I can't speak beyond what they actually did do for me. I'm not sure of the type of calipers used when I was at the gym, but I found that i just happen to lose more fat around my arms so the measurements from there dropped faster relative to my total. I was happy with the progress but didn't really take that measurement too seriously. From what I understand, the only accurate way to measure is in the water in one of those big contraptions. Just be happy with your progress and keep it up! Either way, you've made HUGE progress!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Good job.

My last body fat check I was 22.7%

At my ideal weight of 195 lbs I am roughly 17% body fat.

The lowest body fat I ever had was 15.3% in the military after basic training. I still had no six pack abs ;)
  • rockylucas
    Options
    My last measurement was 191 lbs, and 17%... At the peak of my fitness in early 09 I was 175 with 11% body fat, and that is what I hope to get back to
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Im confused! A couple of weeks ago when I went to see the trainer, I had my body fat measured again via four point calipers. He got 29% ... which places me in the acceptable range. I still have a ton of fat on my body (at least I think so) ... but according to the scales I am no longer "overweight".

I started out with 47% body fat and 276 pounds. I currently have 29% body fat and weigh 236 pounds.
    Does this make sense to anyone? According to the evaluation I have 169 pounds of lean body mass.

How many times has he done Body Fat? It may be close may be off a little.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes... you started at 276 with 47% body fat... meaning you had 146 lbs of lean body mass and 130 lbs of fat

Now at 236 with 29% body fat... you have 168 lbs of lean body mass and 68 lbs of body fat

Meaning you have had an INCREDIBLE transformation! Good job :)

^^^^ Yes! Great job!
  • rockylucas
    Options
    Auticus you got to get down to the 10-12 range if u want the abs ;)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I am between 18%-20% would like to get between 16%-18% and maintain healthy life style not kill myself to keep it there.
  • rockylucas
    Options
    I get my bfp measured at the diet pill clinic, they have these fancy $5,000 scales that you have to step on with wet feet :P Luckily the fellas there know me and they let me just walk right in w/o waiting, since they know thats all I am there for (I am way past qualifying for adipex anymore)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I think I'm at 26-28%. It's been awhile since I've done it. I would be curious to see as I've not really dropped any weight in the last 3 months but have dropped inches and have more visible muscle.. BTW my rear hurts from all the bike riding on Friday and the bartending (6hours of standing on asphalt).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i have no idea, circumference methods have me in the 6.5-8% range, calipers have me in the 7.5-8.75% range, BIA has me around 12% personally i don't think i'm in single digits, i'll have to get a DEXA scan one of these days
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Auticus you got to get down to the 10-12 range if u want the abs ;)

Yeah I know. Tha'ts why I'm not worried about getting the abs. I'm happy if my chest sticks out past my belly; that's my goal. As I lift heavier weights my chest will get a lot bigger. I can deal with a barrel-chested look =)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Too damn much-that's what mine is-
    November of 2010-33%
    April of 2011-30%
    October 2011-? We'll have to see, hopefully it's low enough...
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Op, you have made an amazing transformation, but imo I don't think you are 29% according with your current weight. I'm going off of this article http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Last time I was checked I was about 27%.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

How many times has he done Body Fat? It may be close may be off a little.

The time when he got 29% he did all of the measurements twice.
    I saw him one month prior and he got 31% that time and did all of the measurements twice.
    He did four measurements: tricep, suprailiac crest, abdominal, and thigh.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I wince.... I think if you are using the same method of body fat testing, great, but it is a very sketchy measurement. I am going more by tape measure these days. But you have obviously done very well in your loss, so congrats!
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm at 4% now but men tend to have a better low average than women ,a female with 10% body fat looks amazing rarely you find women getting much lower than that,as for your weight and BMI,because of the difference between the density of fat and muscle you can still lose fat and as you replace it with muscle your weight may not change much but your physical appearance will
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It is highly unlikely that you experienced a fat loss of 60 pounds and gained 20lbs of fat free mass. It is more likely you are in the 35% fat range. You are doing fantastic--I am just trying to explain the numbers.
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    Currently 16% BF trying to head back down to the 12-13% range pre op for my umbilical surgery that'll have me laid up for a few weeks, will be working with a buffer that way, lol.