How do you stop binge?

Options
2»

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Don't just make yourself a snack - especially when you're busy and won't take the time to think about what you're doing. If you want a snack, honestly take the time to think about what you want - be it popcorn or an apple or even something indulgent. Then, take a few moments to prepare it and sit down at a table and eat it thoughtfully. Think about why you're eating it while you eat it - you're hungry and need a snack so you don't eat up all of the leftovers! Relax and eat it thoughtfully, savoring every bite. Then get up and finish your task. Once you're finished, reassess - are you still hungry? If yes, make yourself a little more. The important thing is that you think about everything that passes your lips and you don't allow yourself to eat if you don't give yourself the luxury of sitting to do it.
    This! This is what I mean when I say "eat with intention."
  • Angie6017
    Options
    Very enlighten ... as I have been cutting down on the sugars my hunger has also been dropping. This makes a lot of sense to me.
    Thank you for sharing this.
  • jensway
    Options
    Also, how about pre-prepping veggies and fruit so you can grab that as a snack when you really feel the need to eat? For me popcorn would never be a good idea. It isn't filling and unless you're eating plain-no butter, no salt it's basically useless. I like to get a lot of fruit/veggies and cut them up and put them in containers so I can just grab one to snack on sometimes.

As someone else said just don't keep the stuff around. I love healthy food and I'm finally getting into my healthful eating habits again, but if you put a bunch of useless calories in front of me I won't always say no.

I have just started cleaning, cutting and bagging all of the fruits and veggies I buy as soon as I get home from the store....this has helped so much. Before I go to work, I just grab a couple bags of them and I am off. When I get home at night and want a snack I can just grab a bag.....it is a great idea!
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    lap222---You really started a great topic, and it looks like plenty of us have this problem as the responses indicate. Don't you think that any of us that have a LOT of weight to lose have binge eating problems. I just started this MFP site 6 days ago and it has helped me stop and think before I put anything in my mouth and to think about what I'm bringing home from the store. I think we all know that there may be times when that binging curse will rear up it's ugly head. All we can do is forgive ourselves and get back on track the next day without being on a guilt trip. Just make sure we've added it to our food diary. I think the diary is great. I've tried to keep a food diary in the past, but could always tell myself that I ate fewer calories/carbs, etc.; but this comes right up and tells you right then what your counts are. Thanks for starting this topic, it helps so much knowing there are others with the same problems. These are things that can't be discussed with our skinny family or friends. They just don't comprehend this struggle. Good new week to everyone.:flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Okay... you said you were really good at the party. Does this mean that you didn't at least try some of the foods you REALLY enjoy? Did you deny yourself something at the party? Because as a rule, denying yourself something you truly enjoy will lead to binge eating later.

If I were you, I would sit down and ask yourself "Did I get to at least have a small serving of the foods I may have wanted at the party? Or did I tell myself "NO! You can't have that"?"

I know for me, learning to eat what I wanted in moderation really curbed the need and desire to binge eat. I could have that piece of cake or chips and cheese or whatever it was that I wanted. I just ate a smaller amount of it. When I walked away from the party, the dinner, the get together I didn't feel resentful nor hungry. I ate til satisfied and went away happy.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Another tip: log everything you eat, even if you don't make your goals. And don't tell yourself "I can't eat this", rather, tell yourself, "I can eat whatever I like, but I have to exercise enough to burn off the calories." This combination reduces the temptation to say "oh well - I've blown it now, too late," and keep eating. If I've had one piece of cake more than my calorie budget allows, I know I haven't blown it, but have to fit in another 30-40 minutes of moderate exercise that I hadn't planned. I know if I go on and have another slice, it'll be an hour or more. And if I don't have time today, it will still show up in my weekly report, so I'll have to find the time tomorrow - there is no getting around it.
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    chevy88grl----I think you probably hit the nail on the head. I can relate to this.:flowerforyou: