Random Question About Calves

Options
I have very, very, very thick calves. They don't strike me as being "fat" traditionally, but they also aren't really muscular. I don't do a lot of lower body strength training (my knees are absolutely horrible, knee surgery, constant swelling, etc), but I do try to make my cardio incorporate my lower body as well (elliptical and walking at a high incline on the treadmill).

With jeans, my entire body can fit in the next size down...except for my evil calves lol.

Will they slim down as I slim down? Could they be so thick because of my knee problems? Anything I can do (short of surgery)?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A guy I know used to be a boxer and he taught me these 90-second calf-raises for building muscle but maintaining the lean look. I've been doing them for a couple of weeks and I really like they way they feel and make my legs look!

Feet, shoulder width apart like | | and go up on your toes and back down 25x. Each of the 25 reps should take about 1 second total. Don't rush the return. Fight gravity a bit.

After those, point toes outward like \ / and do 25 more reps.

Then point toes inward like / \ and do a final 25 reps.

I was super sore the first week but now it feels awesome. I do it every morning while the coffee brews and before I weigh myself (so I don't forget). Hope it helps!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I would suggest incorporating some yoga into your routine. It lengthens muscles which may help with your calves, and it will help overall to make you more flexible.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yea mine went from 16inches to 14
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    A guy I know used to be a boxer and he taught me these 90-second calf-raises for building muscle but maintaining the lean look. I've been doing them for a couple of weeks and I really like they way they feel and make my legs look!

Feet, shoulder width apart like | | and go up on your toes and back down 25x. Each of the 25 reps should take about 1 second total. Don't rush the return. Fight gravity a bit.

After those, point toes outward like \ / and do 25 more reps.

Then point toes inward like / \ and do a final 25 reps.

I was super sore the first week but now it feels awesome. I do it every morning while the coffee brews and before I weigh myself (so I don't forget). Hope it helps!

Awesome suggestion, I just put post it notes up at the kitchen cabinet and bathroom mirror to remind myself to do them!!