Savoury craving

According to posted messages, loads of people need a sugar fix. However, not having much of a sweet tooth, I find I'm craving really savoury flavours. I enjoy veggies and salad but I do miss things like salted snacks and cheese.

Any suggestions for low cal/low fat savoury foods?

Replies

• mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    I just tried these crackers from Whole Foods -- Jovan's Pure Nutrition Garden Pesto crackers...

Wow. So good. They are mostly veggies and seeds so they are pretty good fro you, but they are also savory and delicious.

Another thing I like when I'm craving savory is kale chips -- just a light sprinkle of salt and pepper and olive oil.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    add cheese to your veggies.
  • Popcorn, depending on what you put on it, is pretty low fat/calorie. You can by the bagged SmartFood cheddar cheese popcorn, or sprinkle your own cheese over freshly popped corn.

You can also cook your veggies in a more savory way-- chop into 1/4" pieces, sprinkle on seasonings and a dash of olive oil and roast them in the oven.

If you have a taste for V8, I find one of those satisfies my salt craving for the day!
  • Hey girl
    I never used to have a sweet tooth either until about 3-4 months ago. That's not going to help you though but what will are Real Foods, Rice thins, Rice cakes they are 46 cals for 2 slices. You can have them on their own or with your fave spread on it. Real good as a snack. Another option will be Crunchmaster Multi-seed crackers which are gluten free and oven baked. They also have different flavours like toasted onion, rosemary & olive etc. Depending on the flavour you can have 30g (15 crackers) and it'll be 140 calories. You can have them as is or again with your fave spreads or toppings.
    I live in South Korea and normally order these things online through iHerb but you should be able to find them easily enough in health shops where ever you are.
    Good luck
    A
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Oven roasted chick peas covered in whatever spices you like.
  • I like the sound of oven roasted chickpeas - maybe with some black pepper or cajun spices. I will try that tomorrow.
  • I've been craving savory foods since I was a toddler, and still prefer it in my diet. There are low-fat cheeses, you know! Most cheeses have more fat than protein, and the softer they are, generally, the fattier they are. When you go shopping, look at the labels for grams of fat and grams of protein. Most "low fat" cheese is equal fat and protein grams, but there are lower-fat content cheeses, usually called "reduced fat" or "light". I do my shopping mostly at Sam's Club, a membership store where they have reduced fat Swiss-cheese and white cheddar. Also, mozzarella cheese with part skim milk is low fat and available at most stores. Another one is Parmesan cheese: sprinkle on whatever you're eating. Just watch your portion size when you eat cheese, as 1 oz. is considered 1 portion.

Avoid crackers on a regular basis, as they are loaded with fat to make them crisp. Find chips that are baked, rather than fried; they do exist. Or you can try mini shredded wheat with your cheese for a snack.