Determining portions? Meat?

Options
So I do not have a scale, and at this point have no money to get one. Wondering what does an oz of chicken look like? Steak? Pork? Where can I find any info on this? I really need to up my protein and for me chicken and meat is where I can pack it in for low cals. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards if that helps!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It was told to me once that 3 oz of chicken, beef, pork... was about the size of a deck of playing cards.
  • saraann752003
    Options
    a scale is only $6 at k-mart... but the deck of playing cards works too, I thought it would be about 4 oz...
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the deck of cards, or make a fist and that is about the right size for you! Good luck
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Look at the package before you cook it. For example, if you get a package of 3 chicken breasts & it says on the package the total weight is 14 ounces, you can divide that by 3 to see the weight of one of the breasts if you just eat 1. Similarly, if I get a pound of meat & eat 1/4 of the package, I know that's about 4 ounces. I know this method is not 100% accurate, but it's a good estimate for me :)
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!