Artificial Sweeteners

Options
2»

Replies

• MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You save 600 calories a day by using artificial sweeteners? One teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories. I'm guessing you are speaking of soda? I sure hope so because I have a HUGE sweet tooth but couldn't imagine that many calories worth of sugar! lol

So many things, good and bad, have been written about artificial sweeteners. I think we have to look at our own selves to determine if it's beneficial to consume artificial sweeteners or not. For those who can consume them with no problems, I'm jealous! lol
  • MelissaSel
    Options
    I would also like to know more about agave nectar from those of you using it. Taste? Comparison to regular cane sugar? Etc...
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I absolutely love truvia! I've been using it for a couple months in my coffee and tea...The other stuff just gave me a horrible headache which sent red flags up
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid them because I don't like the taste. And I think I'd rather have a reasonable portion of the real thing (that applies to other foods too) than lots of low cal substitutes. For me, it seems like a better long term strategy to teach myself portion control with real food rather than making it ok to eat too much of something just because it doesn't have many cals.
    But, like everything else it's personal choice, you have to work out what suits your body and goals and lifestyle.
  • MelissaSel
    Options
    Rubybelle, you make so much sense! True portion control and long lasting habits are so important! Thank you for saying it that way!
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I have also stopped using them. I have switched to sugar in the raw. I can't stand the chemicals anymore.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. Artificial sweeteners cause me to have fibromyalgia "attacks". Basically, I lose all of my energy and start to hurt (where varies). I personally find that the way artificial sweeteners combine with my body is negative.
    I hav fybromyalgia too. Have cut out diet fizzy pop and cordial, don't dreak tea or coffee either and my fybros been miles better until the last few days. Didn't realise the link. Thanks x
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I use little bits of stevia here and there. It has been used for DECADES in other countries, and nothing negative about it has been proven (yet). All the studies are ambiguous. Because of the "yet", though, I keep my intake minimal. A sprinkle in my coconut fudge pops, a wheatmeal pancake recipe, etc. It does come from a plant, but some grain stevia brands (made to look like sugar instead of a liquid extract) have extra unwanted ingredients.

Read up and decide for yourself.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You save 600 calories a day by using artificial sweeteners? One teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories. I'm guessing you are speaking of soda? I sure hope so because I have a HUGE sweet tooth but couldn't imagine that many calories worth of sugar! lol

Roughly a cup of tea every hour, each with 2-3 sugars in, depending on mood.

Yes...i know NOW... :P
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I LOVE agave!! To me it has a taste in between sugar and honey. But it tastes REAL and sweet. No nasty after taste or bad side effects.
    I would also like to know more about agave nectar from those of you using it. Taste? Comparison to regular cane sugar? Etc...
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda and don't plan to stop. I like my tea really sweet, so it would take a lot of sugar. I went a whole month without Splenda or Diet Cokes (a major addiction there). It was an experiment for me. There was no change in sugar cravings, no difference in the way I felt, and no change in weight loss. I'm sure everyone is different though. What's in the air is bad for your health, but I haven't stopped breathing, so for me...it's Splenda.