Spin vs. Bikes

Options
Hi! This may seem like a really silly question, but I was wondering what the differences were between exercise bikes and spinning. I am more of a runner, but I need to do some cross training so that I don't bust my knees up and get shin splits. My gym has both kinds of bikes, so I just thought I would ask! Hope everyone is having a super day!

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Not sure about exercise bikes, but I know spin bikes usually have a weighted front wheel. And obviously an upright bike is going to give you more of a workout than a recumbent bike - or at least a different kind of workout because of the positioning of your body. I go to spin class 3x/week and LOVE it! It's much more fun in a class setting than just by yourself.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. I'd always guessed that a spin bike more closely resembles the feel of a road bike. I usually ride the stationary recumbent bikes. Mostly cuz I've never bothered asking this question :)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    it's down to whatever feels best for you.

i like the spin bike over the other ones. they don't seem to hurt my knees as much, and it's easier to get the interval training going, getting the heart rate to zig zag up and down by sitting and then standing.

i guess the more recliney ones that have a back, are good for older people or people with comfort issues, or people who just like to sit there and read a book while burning a few calories, but i hate them. they are super uncomfortable for me.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. I'd always guessed that a spin bike more closely resembles the feel of a road bike. I usually ride the stationary recumbent bikes. Mostly cuz I've never bothered asking this question :)

They do resemble a road bike, except that you can't do the aero position or you'll be subject to long-term injuries, but only because the spin bikes don't allow you to rock back and forth like a road bike would. I highly recommend trying one out if you never have!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

They do resemble a road bike, except that you can't do the aero position or you'll be subject to long-term injuries, but only because the spin bikes don't allow you to rock back and forth like a road bike would. I highly recommend trying one out if you never have!

That makes perfect sense :) I'll ask one of the kind folks at the Y to help get me started tomorrow! thank you
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As far as stationary bikes go, I would always use a spin bike over any other exercise bike. They have more adjustment options (handle bar height, seat height and seat distance from handlebars). With correct settings and the right resistance (never go too light), you won't get any injury. In fact my bad knees have disappeared since doing 2-3 spin classes per week.

Also don't think the spin bikes are just for classes. Get on one and ride.