can everyone run a mile?

Options

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Do you know how fast you are trying to run? I mean are your trying to blast through it or just going at it slowly? One trick is run 20 seconds walk 10 seconds and just keep doing that till you can build up. I started running about 13 years ago and could not run a mile. I still can't swim laps!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run a mile if someone was chasing me! but I'm working on it I can walk for miles - I'm good if the Mummy (the limping one) chases me
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    1st check with your doctor and make sure your lungs are ok and your health is good... then if that is all great get one of the programs or apps like C25K and start out slow... you can do this...just regroup and restart...
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I can run one now, but not before I did couch to 5K. Part of the key is running slow enough to complete the distance. I typically run like a 12 minute mile so definitely not a fast pace. Good luck.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I cannot run a mile. I have arthritis in my knees and hips and I also have exercise-induced asthma.
  • kklemencic
    Options
    When I started running a couple years ago I was the same way. Couldn't run a 1/4 of a mile but I just kept at it and eventually I ran farther. Try some weights and a cycle class will really strengthen those legs and glutes which will help your strength in running. I had to give it up because it bothered my knees too much and now I cycle alot and love that cardio more =) Just keep going.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I can workout for hours and hours on end and I can run for ever on a treadmill and can walk fast all day. Can I run a mile in real life? can I heck, lucky if I get to the end of my street, I think there is just a art to it that I don't have, I also smoke though.
  • shellybarbal
    Options
    When I started running, I could not even make it half a mile. Now, I run 4-5 miles with ease (and used to run 8-10). It is all about conditioning. Stick with it and you will surprise yourself. Just add on a teeny bit extra each time and you will work your way up to your goal.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I been working on running for the last two weeks and I'm just like you. I walk/run 4 miles everyday. I try to walk five minutes run two mintues. I still having trouble and dieing after the two minutes, but I will get there. My goal is to run a 5k by the new year.
  • jenniferlynn12
    Options
    Check out "couch to 5K"---I just finished it am running in my first ever 5K (3.1 miles) this coming weekend. It helps you slowly build up... tells you exaclty how long to walk, how long to run each day--about 30 min worth per day. REally was helpful for me!
  • AliciaLucas_72
    AliciaLucas_72 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Just because you are 5'4" and 134 lbs doesn't mean you can run 1 mile. it takes time i sugesst you do a run walk program i did this once and I was over 200 lbs at the time and got to the point where I could do a 7 mile run. So this is what I did I walked a brisk pace until i was warmed up then i ran until i was out of breath then went back to walking until I caught my breath then ran..and so on. and within a week and a half to two weeks i was able to jog a mile, then 2 miles etc. It takes time and everyone is different. Also I don't know your health situation or your habits but if you are or were a smoker or have asthma this may be affecting your running. So Start from scratch and do the walk/run strategy you will be running that mile in no time.

Good luck :wink:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been able to run a mile straight, and frankly, I've never really wanted to. I started C25K in April and decided around week 4 that I really prefer walking and running in intervals to just running. In fact, my times are faster than if I tried to run the entire distance. I'm training for a 10K in a few weeks and plan to do intervals for the race and will finish in around an hour.

Definitely do intervals for awhile and take it slow. Give your body a chance to adjust to the impact of running or you risk injury. If you decide you prefer intervals, know that there are a lot of half- and full marathon runners who run intervals. I've heard runners talking about passing someone who was walking earlier in the race only to have that person pass them close to the end. Sounds like it works, doesn't it? :smile:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No. Many factors go into running a mile non-stop. I assume you are not necessarily associating "running" to a particular velocity but rather the form used.

This involves cardiovascular and pulmonary conditioning as well as muscle conditioning. Additionally one's load bearing joints must support the stress that running places on them.

I cannot run a mile. That being said, I routinely walk for 2 miles at a 4 mph pace. My conditioning is much better than it had been previously. Running is very painful on my knees. My hope is that as the weight comes down that I can eventually long distance run again as I did in my youth.

Previous knee surgery and injuries may actually preclude that however.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    whoever told you it's ridiculous is an *kitten*. everyone gets there at their own pace. if you're having problems try slowing down, that usually does the trick. you could look into the couch to 5k program that gets you running 3 miles in 9 weeks. i'm doing it and it's awesome. i went from not being able to run even one minute to running for 15 so far.

This. Someone who tells you it's "ridiculous" to stop and walk is not someone who appears to be supporting you and your fitness goals. It took me about 3 months of walking/jogging intervals to work my way up to running a mile straight. Try slowing your pace down and inserting short walk breaks earlier in your runs (google c25k and Jeff Galloway running programs). Working at a slow and steady pace to get to running that mile will ensure that you do not injure yourself, so that your fitness can be a longterm activity. Good luck!
  • leighalittletyke
    Options
    Yea it sucks at first, but what always helps me is I look at the an object a little distance away and tell myself, "Just make it to there." and then when I make I look at the next object a little distance away and tell myself the same thing. There's A LOT of mental barriers when you're running (or even with any type of exercise) so setting short-term mini-goals helps you get past that mindset of, "I can't make the whole way." I also never walk, I just slow down, lol even to the point where I might as well be walking. You're still picking up your feet to the point where it's still more work than walking, but you're still getting that break you need.

But the most important thing is that no matter what tips you get from people, listen to your body first.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Try taking a Learn to Run course. C25K is good, but there isn't any individual attention paid by a coach. Your local running shop likely offers something that will cover nutrition, injury prevention, dressing for the occasion, etc.

The clinics I coach at Running Room cost $70 and last 10 weeks. You can progress thru them Learn to Run, 5K, 10K, Half and Full (and soon to be offered Ultra Marathon clinic)
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, as for me, I have to say, when I had lost about 60 pounds a couple of years ago, I did it by running. I started off walking and as I built up my strength, I started jogging, then running. At the end when I stopped, I was running a mile in less than 11 minutes. For me, that felt awesome!!!! Nothing is more relaxing than putting your headphones on and just running. It just melts all the stress away and is totally invigorating. Can't wait to get back to that place again.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    whoever told you it's ridiculous is an *kitten*. everyone gets there at their own pace. if you're having problems try slowing down, that usually does the trick. you could look into the couch to 5k program that gets you running 3 miles in 9 weeks. i'm doing it and it's awesome. i went from not being able to run even one minute to running for 15 so far.

This. Someone who tells you it's "ridiculous" to stop and walk is not someone who appears to be supporting you and your fitness goals. It took me about 3 months of walking/jogging intervals to work my way up to running a mile straight. Try slowing your pace down and inserting short walk breaks earlier in your runs (google c25k and Jeff Galloway running programs). Working at a slow and steady pace to get to running that mile will ensure that you do not injure yourself, so that your fitness can be a longterm activity. Good luck!

GREAT ADVICE! LISTEN UP!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I can't run a mile straight, but I've done 6 5K's this year using run/walk intervals. I'm slow, but I just remind myself that no matter how slow I am, I'm still lapping the people on the couch (Just like Samerah12's profile pic says!). I've been telling myself that for months and it's so true. Some people have the cardiovascular ability to run a mile and not the leg strength and other are just the opposite - everyone is different. But if you have a balanced plan that adds cardio and strength training, you'll get there in no time!
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    I can workout for hours and hours on end and I can run for ever on a treadmill and can walk fast all day. Can I run a mile in real life? can I heck, lucky if I get to the end of my street, I think there is just a art to it that I don't have, I also smoke though.

That's the thing! I smoke, too. I've tried everything. I had quit for about a year but then, as I like to say, life happened. My son was in a devasting car accident where he broke his neck. The recovery was long and hard. It was either smoke again or lose my mind. I know people who don't smoke CAN'T understand, so please, don't tell me how it is all in our heads, it's nasty, blah, blah, blah. Talk to me when you have walked in my shoes.