exhausted because of my awful neighbor

Options
I am living on the top floor of an old apartment building and 3 weeks ago, my downstairs neighbor decided to start watching TV all day/night long and pretty loudly.

Ironically, 4 weeks ago, I decided to go to the gym before class, 3 times a week, and as a result, I have to wake up at 5:30 3 times a week.

I knocked at my neighbors door a bunch of times, she never answered. I knocked at 130 in the morning and she started yelling at me, without opening the door.
I left a VERY (maybe too much) polite note on her door, nothing changed.

I have trouble sleeping because of that, I sleep with earplugs and I can still ear the noise through them. I also cannot go back home and relax because her TV is on all day long and I can ear it. I like How I met your Mother, but I like it better when I decide when to watch/hear it.

I work, I go to class, I go to the gym. I'm young and I'm a foreigner, I'm used having people taking advantage of me but I'm honestly losing it. I need to be able to feel "home" when I come back home at 8pm after leaving at 6am.

My landlord hates me because I had the nerve to complain about the fact that parts of my ceiling fell. The police told me they could not do anything because the noise is not heard from the street.

I know it's getting long and it's probably not the good place to ask that, but I thought I could take a shot. (I cannot move out, American universities are expensive and I have a tight budget)

What could I do?

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    How big is the apartment building? Is there a chance that another place in the building is available? I still would call the landlord. You never know, he might talk to them.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My neighbors have VERY LOUD sex until the wee hours of the morning. I guess I can sympathize somewhat. :cry:
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    get u some zumba and do it during the middle of the night with it so loud she can hear it and it cant be heard on the street :P
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    I would let it go you have to pick your battles and for your safety this is not a good one. Try to find somewhere else to stay at a friends while you find somewhere else? I've been there done that; when I used to live at an apartment the lady above me had a child in one of those walkers with wheels and her kid would go from side to side all night and she would do the laundry she was a nurse and worked odd hours I couldn't stand it anymore and the police came they couldn't do anything so I moved. Good Luck Go to a motel for a week or something.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ding dong ditch at 5:30am when you wake up.....every morning for a week.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Is there a tennants' information service where you are? It might be called a tennants union, or renters' advisory service or something like that. They'll be able to give you some good advice on the responsibilities of your landlord, whether this gives you grounds to break your lease if necessary, or the best method to approach your neighbour, landlord or police.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    ding dong ditch at 5:30am when you wake up.....every morning for a week.

I like this idea
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    3 options.

1. Buy better earplugs. Look for higher quality ones, cost a bit more, but should help
    2. Get noise canceling headphones: I use DJ quality headphones to cut out noise, extremely loud if I want them to be, but also good for blocking out noise. Play some white noise
    1. Get used to it. I used to have issues sleeping through loud nosies, but now honestly, I fall asleep at the drop of a hat, and noise is not a factor. Took some training, but I can do it now
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    get u some zumba and do it during the middle of the night with it so loud she can hear it and it cant be heard on the street :P
    Yeah get even with her. Just start wearing heavy boots while you Zumba for added effect!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Does your university have some kind of student advice service? They might be able to help you find somewhere else affordable to live. You could start by letting one of your professors, or a member of administrative staff, know that you have an accommodation problem, and they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can help.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Give them some of this on your way to the gym each morning.
    4s02og.jpg
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when you get up start by turning your music up when your getting ready ,buy hear some head pphones ,make nice with her become her friend and then she will be nice.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have white noise app on my Ipod/Iphone. it was free. I love the ocean waves, and I go right to sleep. Mine has a timer even.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is a shame when YOU pay as much rent as SHE does:ohwell:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    This friend suggestion although the most challenging, is the best. Good luck what ever course of action you take.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your landlord may hate you, but he has a legal obligation to take care of the problem and you have a legal right to withhold rent (in an escrow account) until he does.

Speak with a lawyer. Go to legal aid if you can't afford a consultation and can't find an attorney who will do one for free.
  • josaleigh
    Options
    White Noise machine for the win! For real, the sound of rain, static, waves, etc. WILL drown out her TV and give you a good night sleep. They don't cost much, $35 tops. Set it across the room from you, wherever the noise is the loudest. Promise it will help.

My ex husband ALWAYS kept the TV blaring... all night long... with no regard to if I could sleep in the next room. Not working must have its perks. I bought one and finally got some much needed rest.
  • vlaura
    Options
    Thank you all for your advices.

About the "white noise", I have a little machine next to my bed that does a waterfall noise. I love it but it still does not cover her noise.

I also called the landlord this morning, they told me they would do something but I came back home tonight and the noise is still as lovely and loud as usual.

I thought about playing my loudest bass music when I wake up but I do not want to start doing the same crap as her, I do not want to bother my other neighbors early in the morning, it is not their fault.

I bought noise canceling headphones that I will receive at the end of this week, I guess I will just live with them on my head. I just hoped I could find another solution than this one, because it is a bit uncomfortable to be honest :)

I thought about something also, should I offer to pay for fancy/comfortable wireless headphones for her? My grandma's neighbor offered her to do that, and she is now very happy with her giant headphone, and she is not bothering anyone. It would be more fair to have her wear something like that, only when she is watching TV, than me having to sleep with it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    do you think your other neighbors hear the person? if you do, they might too. talk to them and see what they think!