Runners - Hip and Knee Pain?

Options
I ran years ago before I had kids and I have been back to it for almost 3 months. I am now running about 4 miles a day during the week and 6 miles on the weekends. I take different days off but end up running 5-6 days a week usually. I have been feeling great until about a week and a half ago when both hips and knees started hurting...after I added about 10 minutes to my runs during the week and went up to 6 miles on the weekends (from 4). I took three days off hoping it would help and ran yesterday and today - 6 miles each day. The first 2 miles were hard because my left hip and outer knee were painful. I walked some and thought about heading home each day but decided to run some more and then my hip and knee started feeling better and I was able run 4 more miles with little to no pain. Same thing happened both days. I bought new running shoes when I started running and bought new ones I wore for the first time yesterday. My first two miles were on sidewalks in neighborhoods and the last four were on the sidewalk at the park. I am wondering if the park's path is more level so I had less pain or were my muscles finally warmed up enough? Any ideas?

Replies

• JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My son is a long distance runner and he experiences hip pain when he doesn't stretch enough before and after. I just started jogging recently and have noticed knee pain in one knee and popping in the other. I only jog once or twice a week to off set my usual workouts though. I attribute mine to old bones!! LOL
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    What is the dietary fat intake in your eating looking like? Do you take a fish oil supplement?
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    Also do you do any weight training during your weekly routine or just strictly running? I'm wondering if you have a muscle imbalance from just running and not doing cross training, or if your shoes might not be right for you, have you had a running clinic test your stride/arch?
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    What is the dietary fat intake in your eating looking like? Do you take a fish oil supplement?

I am vegetarian so I get my fat from nuts and dairy (milk, yogurt, some occasional cheese, eggs). I am usually under or close to my limit in fat. I take a flaxseed oil supplement to get my Omega 3.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Also do you do any weight training during your weekly routine or just strictly running? I'm wondering if you have a muscle imbalance from just running and not doing cross training, or if your shoes might not be right for you, have you had a running clinic test your stride/arch?
    No weight training. I have to get up and run early before my boys wake up. I don't have a time that I can take away from kids to go to the gym and can't afford one that has child care or opens early enough for me. I was doing the 30 day shred this summer but stopped once my kids started school (I have a 1st grader, part time preschooler, and a 2 year old not it school.) because it is hard to fit into my schedule. Should I try to start that up again? I have not had my stride/arch tested and I just bought two pairs of shoes. I never buy myself anything and can't really go buy more at this point.
    Maybe I should try upping my stretching before and after and adding the 30 days shred. Does that sound good?
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    My son is a long distance runner and he experiences hip pain when he doesn't stretch enough before and after. I just started jogging recently and have noticed knee pain in one knee and popping in the other. I only jog once or twice a week to off set my usual workouts though. I attribute mine to old bones!! LOL
    It may be old bones since I am about to turn 40! Aaahh!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It could be so many things. Some people have issues like that when they need new shoes. I'm having severe hip issues right now due to heavy training leading up to my next 50K in two weeks. I believe mine is related to my ITB, yours might be too. It's a band that runs from the hip to the knee (on the outside) and can hurt in different areas. Might just be tight. I am currently trying using a foam roller and laying off long runs until my event. Mine has gotten so bad that after a few miles my leg aches (badly) from the hip to the ankle. I did a 25K last weekend and by the time I was halfway into it, I was in agony. Getting nervous about doing twice that distance in this much pain!! Ughhhhhh......
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    It could be so many things. Some people have issues like that when they need new shoes. I'm having severe hip issues right now due to heavy training leading up to my next 50K in two weeks. I believe mine is related to my ITB, yours might be too. It's a band that runs from the hip to the knee (on the outside) and can hurt in different areas. Might just be tight. I am currently trying using a foam roller and laying off long runs until my event. Mine has gotten so bad that after a few miles my leg aches (badly) from the hip to the ankle. I did a 25K last weekend and by the time I was halfway into it, I was in agony. Getting nervous about doing twice that distance in this much pain!! Ughhhhhh......
    Hmm, that does sound like what I might be having. The pain in my knee shoots down toward my ankle and it is all on the outside. It seems like the pain in the hip and knee happen at the same time...definitely feels related. I can deal with it as long as I am not injuring myself which is my biggest fear. I hope you have a good run and not too much pain!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Runners espcecially women need strong glutes and quads and hamstrings helps support the knees from what I have read. Also, do you have appropriate shoes? I recommenda a running store. If pain persists with all the recommendations you have received then see a sports phyical therapist...some of the runners I have ran with do and it was the best thing to do to prevent further injury.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do some stretching in the a.m. Wish you lived around here. I would take you to my therpeutic yoga class. We do a lot of stretching the hip flexors, quads and hamstring. The yoga instructor who works full time with an orthopedic surgeon really emphasizes stretching before and after cycling or running. I love to take the class after I play a hard game of tennis to get my hips and legs stretched out....I am much more flexible the next day if I do a good stretch after a hard work out.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Strengthening my glute medius has made a world of difference to my hips and knees! Just a few minutes a day of exercises from my physiotherapist helped me run pain free within a few weeks. I good physio can really help, and in the meantime you can get a lot of info from google/youtube for exercises you can start practicing right away. All the best with your running!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    try stretching more, a friend at work has an issue because never stretched. Maybe ask a "running company" for information. We have one called haddonfield and one in Wilmington called wilmington running company. they all have a website and you might want to just give a call because they will be glad to answer that question and are very knowledgable.
  • meredithd13
    Options
    sounds like your ITB to me. get one of those foam rollers and get a physio or PT to teach you how to use it (slowly is the key and it HURTS). it's very hard to stretch your ITB in normal stretching exercises, but it's very common for runners to get it. it stopped me running for about two years (just back in to it now).
  • science_star
    Options
    I like the stretching sequences on the Yogamazing video podcast (iTunes). It is a great, free resource that i've used a like whilst at home looking after the little ones.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I woke up 5 minutes earlier this morning to really stretch and the pain was much better during my run today. It still hurt but not as much. I'll look into the stretches and such that you have recommended and get a yoga dvd. I did yoga every day when I was running years ago. I had forgotten about that. Thank you for your input!
  • lynnee46
    Options
    Hi there

Well done with your running. Just a couple of things to think about.

1. It sounds as though you have increased your distance too quickly and this is a prime reason for injury. You should increase your mileage by no more than 10% per week. Rest for a week then start again running 4 miles and increase gradually. Be patient it will pay off in the end.

2. As others have said knee pain is very often as a result of poor quads. Try to do some exercises to build strength in your legs, something simple like squats that you can do at home in five minutes. You should notice the difference after a few weeks
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    Being a non stretching long distance runner myself I don't push the stretching much, but I do recommend cross training, another thing I do is barre DVDs (I too am a stay at home mommy to a 2 and 3 year old, totally understand, and can't afford to hit up the gym and do drop in child care more than 2 times per month) but I think you should scale back 2 days of your running and switch in some strength/plyo, muscle balancing activity and see how that helps. I got a really bad hip last winter and it was seizing up on me, I couldn't figure out why it was doing it, the doctors couldn't either, it ended up being because my core and lower back weren't strong enough (muscle imbalances) and I corrected it by switching up my routine a lil bit and scaling back on the long distances for a few months, everything got better after that and no more hip seizing. Your diet looks sound, so I would definitely recommend throwing the DVD back in there. I thought with my hip seizing up I should take time off and do nothing for a few weeks to relieve whatever was going on in it, and honestly it made everything much worse being sedentary, so if it's not severe just adjust and go lower volume for a few weeks. :)
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    I shouldn't say I don't stretch, lol, I'm just a selective stretcher, I don't do pre/post run stretching, but I do stretch a few evenings per week, but that's just me. There is a lot of newer studies that actually recommend not stretching before running that I've come across but everyone is different and if it helps do it. :D
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Being a non stretching long distance runner myself I don't push the stretching much, but I do recommend cross training, another thing I do is barre DVDs (I too am a stay at home mommy to a 2 and 3 year old, totally understand, and can't afford to hit up the gym and do drop in child care more than 2 times per month) but I think you should scale back 2 days of your running and switch in some strength/plyo, muscle balancing activity and see how that helps. I got a really bad hip last winter and it was seizing up on me, I couldn't figure out why it was doing it, the doctors couldn't either, it ended up being because my core and lower back weren't strong enough (muscle imbalances) and I corrected it by switching up my routine a lil bit and scaling back on the long distances for a few months, everything got better after that and no more hip seizing. Your diet looks sound, so I would definitely recommend throwing the DVD back in there. I thought with my hip seizing up I should take time off and do nothing for a few weeks to relieve whatever was going on in it, and honestly it made everything much worse being sedentary, so if it's not severe just adjust and go lower volume for a few weeks. :)
    Good to know doing nothing for a bit won't help because I don't want to stop. I'll add in the 30 day shred and a yoga dvd I bought today. Thanks so much!
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank for all the tips, I too am trying to run and having similar knee pain. So, will be watching this thread to take in all of the great advice. Keep it coming!!