WEIGHT LOSS TEASE!

Options
By Theresa Stahl, RD, LDN

Q: Do weight-loss teas really work? I heard that some celebrities use them, and I’m really interested in knowing more about them.

I am a big fan of all sorts of tea. Whether white, black, oolong, or green, I enjoy tea and drink it almost every day—iced or hot. But I’m a skeptic when it comes to claims for any weight-oss products, including tea.

There are many claims linking weight loss and tea, mostly regarding green or oolong teas. These teas, along with white and black tea, come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis. How the fresh leaves of the tea plant are processed and their level of contact with oxygen determines the resulting types of tea.

One study, reported in the February 2008 issue of Journal of Nutrition, found that green tea extracts (in an amount equivalent to 7 cups of green tea per day), helped mice with an obesity gene to gain less weight and fat.

To research whether weight-loss teas really work in humans, I went to The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). NCCAM, part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), is the Federal Government’s lead agency for scientific research on complementary and alternative medicine. They state that there is not enough reliable data to determine whether green tea can aid in weight loss. They are supporting studies to learn more about the components in tea and their effects on health, though.

So, while I wouldn’t recommend purchasing expensive weight-loss teas, you may still want to enjoy tea as part of your daily intake. After all, what you choose to drink and how much you drink impacts your calorie intake and overall health. Tea, without added sweeteners, is calorie-free. It also provides a variety of flavonoid antioxidants that may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. And tea can also help you stay hydrated and add to feelings of fullness, which may help prevent overeating.

Replies

• rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    By Theresa Stahl, RD, LDN

Q: Do weight-loss teas really work? I heard that some celebrities use them, and I’m really interested in knowing more about them.

I am a big fan of all sorts of tea. Whether white, black, oolong, or green, I enjoy tea and drink it almost every day—iced or hot. But I’m a skeptic when it comes to claims for any weight-oss products, including tea.

There are many claims linking weight loss and tea, mostly regarding green or oolong teas. These teas, along with white and black tea, come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis. How the fresh leaves of the tea plant are processed and their level of contact with oxygen determines the resulting types of tea.

One study, reported in the February 2008 issue of Journal of Nutrition, found that green tea extracts (in an amount equivalent to 7 cups of green tea per day), helped mice with an obesity gene to gain less weight and fat.

To research whether weight-loss teas really work in humans, I went to The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). NCCAM, part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), is the Federal Government’s lead agency for scientific research on complementary and alternative medicine. They state that there is not enough reliable data to determine whether green tea can aid in weight loss. They are supporting studies to learn more about the components in tea and their effects on health, though.

So, while I wouldn’t recommend purchasing expensive weight-loss teas, you may still want to enjoy tea as part of your daily intake. After all, what you choose to drink and how much you drink impacts your calorie intake and overall health. Tea, without added sweeteners, is calorie-free. It also provides a variety of flavonoid antioxidants that may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. And tea can also help you stay hydrated and add to feelings of fullness, which may help prevent overeating.