Help with my Knee

Options
I have a knee that isn't in the best of shape. It's one of those that had an injury when I was younger but now hurts every once in a while. Well I just started back exercising and it really hurts. I have no doubt that a lot of it is from my size coupled with the walking/jumping I am doing. I really don't want to take asprin or mortin everyday so is there anything else I can do to ease the pain? I am going to get a new knee brace tomorrow but I don't think that will fix the whole problem and I still need to be able to get up and down the stairs in my house lol.

Replies

• Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the Dr yet? I understand your pain. I have had 2 knee surgery on my Left knee and 1 Knee surgery on my right one. But I ran a 5 k this summer. It was lots of fun.
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have problems with both my knees. When either knee starts hurting I do lower impact exercises and or upper body strength work outs. For pain I use a heating pad and sometimes ice.
  • rmeenen
    Options
    I have issues with my knee also. I would cut out any jumping or high impact exercising until it gets better and slowly ease back into those things. Stick to the low impact things such as walking, riding bike, etc. I know you don't get the quick calorie burn with the lower impact but if you make it worse than you might not be able to do anything at all! Hope it gets better and good luck on your journey!
  • Ginovicia
    Options
    I have the same problem but I work at and attend college on one of the worst campuses for people with leg injuries, nothing but hills. My doctor told me that in 10 years I would be in a wheel chair. But I have found a few ways to help the pain. The first thing I did was get some of those shoes that have the rounded bottoms (reebok easytone) and I use those to tone my inner thigh muscles which help with balance and alignment. But you have to be careful while wearing them, I trip all the time but the curve and cushion help sooo much. I also swim everyday, its no impact and great exercise and makes my knee feel so good. I get bored easily though so I started Scuba diving just to change things up. I use Ice packs after any pain or heavy activity with or without pain, it eases pain and promotes healing by flushing the area with blood and I also take supplements. I tried everything from fish oil to things that had light inflammatory and diruetics but the best thing I have found is Coral Advantage Joint Health daily supplement, it helps that it is also a daily vitamin so I don't have to double up on pills or vitamins.

Hope this helps :)
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the Dr yet? I understand your pain. I have had 2 knee surgery on my Left knee and 1 Knee surgery on my right one. But I ran a 5 k this summer. It was lots of fun.

No not yet. The pain hasn't been too horrible yet. I have been having a problem with my hip on the same side and planned on talking to the doc when I go next month. Maybe I will up my appt just to make sure all is good.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I work at and attend college on one of the worst campuses for people with leg injuries, nothing but hills. My doctor told me that in 10 years I would be in a wheel chair. But I have found a few ways to help the pain. The first thing I did was get some of those shoes that have the rounded bottoms (reebok easytone) and I use those to tone my inner thigh muscles which help with balance and alignment. But you have to be careful while wearing them, I trip all the time but the curve and cushion help sooo much. I also swim everyday, its no impact and great exercise and makes my knee feel so good. I get bored easily though so I started Scuba diving just to change things up. I use Ice packs after any pain or heavy activity with or without pain, it eases pain and promotes healing by flushing the area with blood and I also take supplements. I tried everything from fish oil to things that had light inflammatory and diruetics but the best thing I have found is Coral Advantage Joint Health daily supplement, it helps that it is also a daily vitamin so I don't have to double up on pills or vitamins.

Hope this helps :)

I have been putting heat on it and it helps a little not much. Maybe I will try the ice packs and see what that does. Where did you get the supplement at? Is it something that anyplace like Target or Walmart would have or something I need to go to a vitamin store to get?
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have knee problems too - had two surgeries on the left one to remove all cartilege now because it was so shredded! Keep an eye on it to see if it swells or gets hot - it it does, keep it elevated when you're sat down, and if it's sore when you go to bed, stick an extra pillow under it and it'll drain the fluid away overnight. I use this great stuff called BioFreeze, its a cooling gel that a lot of athletes use and although it comes out green (!) it doesn't stain anything and it does a great job if you don't have any frozen peas or icepacks to hand! Although you have to order it online, it's not too expensive. I also take Chondroitin and Glucosamine Sulfate as I was told by my Dr that they will help stave off premature osteoarthritis. Avoid high impact sport, and especially any sport that involves sudden twists and turns i.e. raquet sports. I would stay away from jumping, but walking is great, as is cycling - just make sure you are not twisting the joint as you move - this sometimes happens from years of getting into a gait that eases pressure on pain points, but in fact causes more problems because it puts pressure on places where there wasn't pressure before! This is basically everything my DR and physio has told me and applies in general for ligament or cartilege damage - knees are natural weak points in the body, so if you can also find some exercises that will strengthen the ligaments and muscles around the joint that can really help - squats (against a wall at first to keep a straight posture), gentle lunges, some fun with the exercise ball - then you can get closer to doing the exercises that you really enjoy without being held back!

Hope this all helps :) Happy exercising