strength training and weight gain

Options
So, I started a great new gym on Monday, with group training classes for an hour a day, strength M, W, F and conditioning T, Th and have gained 6 lbs (yes, in 5 days) I know it's muscle and water and my clothes still fit fine but as I was really close to a weight milestone it's been bumming me out to see the scale go back up. Anyone know about how long this lasts? Should I just chuck the scale for a month? I normally weigh in weekly but I can't bear to put the heavier weight in.

Replies

• aurorasangel2000
    Options
    Not sure how long the weight gain will last, but, something that helps me to stay motivated is measurements. Even if you're gaining muscle, your measurements can still go down and change and give you a little motivation :-)
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    it's just water, not muscle. it is very very difficult, even impossible fora woman to put on that much weight in muscle. it takes months of intensive training and eating lots and lots of calories to gain a few pounds of muscles. you've gained water. weight training damages muscles and they retain lots of water while they repair themselves. this damage is what you want because they repair themselves stronger every time. so drink lots of water, at least half a gallon but up to one gallon a day and in a few days your body will release the water. as your body gets used to the regimen it will probably retain a little less water but be prepared to see a gain after every strength routine. your body will settle down. this might be a good time to cut back your weigh ins to once a week for a month or so.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    your weight will go up what you need to look at now is your measurements and the way your body is changing and showing more defined Muscles! Just Remember Muscle weigh more then Fat!
  • eegrieger
    Options
    a couple weeks ago I started working out and the same thing happened. I gained 5 pounds and my weight stayed there for about a week, and then the weight started falling off. Hang in there!!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    a couple weeks ago I started working out and the same thing happened. I gained 5 pounds and my weight stayed there for about a week, and then the weight started falling off. Hang in there!!!

Yup, you're absolutely correct. I can gain 5 lbs in water weight in a day. Keep up the strength training ladies, it's not only good for your muscles, but it's great for your bones as well.
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow Marienevada what a very informative answer!!! thank you! This is an a question that I think alot of women have about when we start with weights and every body always just says the same thing.....this is awesome! Makes sense!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The measurement taking is key for this issue...also it is great to take pictures! When I did the 30 day shred, I gained about 5 pounds, but the pictures and measurements showed all the work that I had done. i didn't start losing the 'water weight' until my 4th week in.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is likely the muscles retaining water. For me, it usually starts the day after I push myself really hard and can last anywhere from 2-3 days.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am definitely drinking more water, I have a 32oz bottle that I fill up and finish 3x a day. I did take measurements when I started so I'll try to focus on that. I do feel incredible and people are already telling me that I look simmer but that battle with the number on the scale has been gnawing at me. I think I'll have hubs hide it for a few weeks and just skip my normal weigh in for a while. Thanks everyone, this is my first post and I'm loving all the helpful response!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every time. I have learnt never to weigh in until the day after I've rested!