Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Vitamins with Potassium in them?

I am looking for a vitamin with potassium in them. Right now, I am getting about 2000-2500g of potassium per day. (This is a recent thing) I want to get more potassium in my diet. Can anyone recommend a vitamin with a lot of potassium in them? I already take a Multivitamin everyday, but there is not potassium in them....I need to go to the store and buy some rhubarb, there's like 1400g of K in them! lol...But on days where I can't fit it all in with food, I need a vitamin...can anyone make any recommendations? thanks!

Replies

• You can get potassium supplements, which is what I take. If you can get your MD to Rx them for you (assuming you've got insurance :-/), that will also make it cheaper. I've been getting them as an Rx, but understand them to be a bit pricey otherwise.

They're huge and hard to swallow, but they give you a nice, 1500 mg boost. It's so hard to get enough potassium!
  • Start drinking coconut water! One 8.5 oz container has around 500 mg of potassium and is only 45 calories. Foods high in potassium include avocados, dried apricots, fish, beans, of course bananas! There are a ton of veggies that are really high in potassium. The body absorbs nutrients better when we eat or drink them, opposed to taking a supplement.
  • YES! I love coconut water!! <3
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    :heart: Be careful. Elevated blood levels of potassium can be toxic, and can cause irregular heartbeat or a heart attack. Please ask your doc if you need extra potassium.:smile:
  • @CherryObebe: Thanks for the coconut water tip!
  • :heart: Be careful. Elevated blood levels of potassium can be toxic, and can cause irregular heartbeat or a heart attack. Please ask your doc if you need extra potassium.:smile:

Here is something you should read about Potassium...

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/water_sodium_potassium_intake

I personally consider Harvard Medical a pretty reliable source! Reaching the minimum of 4700mg isn't happening for most people! After you are done with that, research hyperkalemia paying special attention to kidney function, age, and health of the endocrine system!

Here is a link for hyperkalemia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2007212

Please understand the advice you are giving people. :)