moving out at 18 (UK)

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
does anyone know how i can move out and actually afford anything. like i cant get a job because im still at school. is there any sort of benefits that would help me out?

Replies

• SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.

^Pretty much.^
  • kennie2
    Options
    dont really have an option
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    only advantage you have right now is you get free council tax as a student then you're gonna have lots of bills bills bills
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Sugar daddy
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am 24, working full time, have a partner who is also working full time and we are STILL struggling to make ends meet.

If I could, I would stay at home as long as possible until I was in a position to comfortably afford it.

Move out when you can't afford it and it will be a constant Catch 22.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 16 and went to uni. Not because of family problems. It worked out and 8 years on I'm happy and successful.

Advice for Kennie - if you need to move out, move into a shared house. Get a weekend and evening job to pay for the rent - easy peasy.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you HAVE to go but if there really is no choice go and see C.A.B who will go thru all your options and will know what benefits you can claim. Your best bet would be moving in with a relative, after that a house share...I wouldn't even consider going it alone, the type of property you could afford will likely be very poor and could well end up pulling you down.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Advice for Kennie - if you need to move out, move into a shared house. Get a weekend and evening job to pay for the rent - easy peasy.

This would help.

If you are in further education, unfortunately changes in the EMA etc mean you probably don't qualify for much help from the state. However, this depends a little on the reason you're having to leave home. It might be worth contacting Citizen's Advice, just to talk through your circumstances, and to see what might be available to you. They tend to be pretty creative in the way they tackle these kinds of problems, and will be able to support you in making changes.

Do not, under any circumstances, just walk out and hope for the best. The streets just aren't any fun at all for a young woman.
  • tasman11
    Options
    My suggestion is don't add a huge source of stress to your life.Don't move out yet.Finish your studies,get a job and then think about it.
  • kennie2
    Options
    Not sure why you HAVE to go but if there really is no choice go and see C.A.B who will go thru all your options and will know what benefits you can claim. Your best bet would be moving in with a relative, after that a house share...I wouldn't even consider going it alone, the type of property you could afford will likely be very poor and could well end up pulling you down.

dont have any relatives that i could live with. whats a C.A.B?
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When you are a full time student you can't claim benefits, you won't get a house and you won't get help. The only option is a job but that isn't an option.

If you are really having to move - and pretty much the only reason I would at 18 is to go to Uni or if I was being abused in some way - then you're going to need to get a job in the evenings. See the catch 22 here. I held down a part time evening job in a call centre at 18 while at uni so that I could support myself, it's doable but it's damn hard.

If you can sort it out then do it. Leaving home now will start your life off at a very difficult point.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Contact your council's Social Services department, who will be able to point you in the right direction.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Citizens Advice Bureau. I used to volunteer for them. They give advice. I would consider seeing your local councils housing department and you'll be listed for a home and banded as to your need. It's very tough competition though and it will have to be an extremely serious reason to be housed anytime soon.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

The Citizen's Advice Bureau (mentioned in my post too)
  • Lecypage
    Options
    I moved out at 17 and am now 24 with 90% of a uni degree finished, a loving partner who also moved out at 17, a full time, well paying job and I own an inner city apartment. Moving out when you are young is not always a bad thing. I can't stand it when I meet people around 20yo and they still live with their parents. Especially the ones that aren't even working and are just at uni. I say it's better to be chucked in the deep end. I don't know how your government does things but in aus we have a thing called living away from home allowance for kids who have to move out and austudy for people under 25 at uni. Maybe there is something like that you can apply for. Are you going to study or work? If you are moving out to work you should be fine. Like leila said; try a share house. That way all your costs are cut down and you might make some awesome friends. Just go into your local support office or hop online and see what government support will apply to you. Good luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

Citizens Advice Bureau....they can give help and advice on all kinds of things. As you are still very young connexions shoul also be able to help.

If you have no relatives do you have any close friends whose parents might put you up. I have kids your age, it kills me thinking of them going it alone at your age and although I have no room or spare money if any of their friends were in your situation I'd do my best to help

ETA: If its urgent and imminent try contacting shelter... http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Call Shelter's free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444 for advice on where to stay.
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you have said there is no choice, then as said above try and find a shared house option. You should go to the local council office and register there, it won't do much good in terms of housing but you will get some advice and be given some rented house info that will take a bond payment from your local council instead of a deposit.
    You need to try and find a job for 16 hours or more and then you can claim tax credits which will give you a little extra each week. Do you get EMA? It's not much but you will still be entitled to this, after this course if you were still under level 2 in qualifications you can also get ALG once you are 19 which is the adult version of EMA. Once you have found somewhere, you can claim housing benefit, you won't get it paid in full but you will get some, so it is worth it. As has been said you will also get council tax benefit as students do not have to pay this. Direct.Gov is a good site that can give invaluable advice on benefit entitlements.
    After you have finished this round of study are you planning to go to Uni? If not then I would consider it, you will get maximum loans and grants and will come out the other end able to get a good job and be self-sufficient, (yes you will ahve loans to pay back but not until your income exceeds £21000 per year). If not, then getting full-time work after you finish school will be a must. I left home at 14, ran away then returned to leave again at 16, I was very lucky. It is definitely harder for young people now, so plan it carefully and you will be fine. Also find your local shelter office, they will help and advice on all aspects of this. Remember at 18 you are considered an adult so there will be no extras because you are young. I have worked in this industry for years, if I can help further let me know! Good Luck with everything :)
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    FYI i moved out of home at 17 and my partner at 18- Im a full-time uni student and he works full time and studies part-time, luckily i have a supportive mum that pays for my bills but it isnt easy having all the responsibility of moving out so young when you cant afford it, my partner and I struggled with bills when he didnt have a job
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    if you are already 18 and still at school you will struggle to get any help, sorry, its a rubbish system. you could try applying for income support and council tax/housing benefit. but most people are expected to stay at home and be cared for by your family.