Motivation

Options
Hi guys.... I have been struggling with motivation to move once I get home from work. I teach Kindergarten, and by the time I get home, I am exhausted and have no energy to workout. I ran a half marathon in May and did such a great job (I ran the whole thing!) but I just cannot get back into the groove at all :( ..... Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

Replies

• Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Any chance of doing the workout in the mornings? Then you can just relax in the evenings ...
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Oooh, teaching kindergarten ... the best known form of birth control known to teachers everywhere. It's exhausting!! I agree with the PP, in the mornings might be something to think about. Or, pick 2 days after school and don't go home before you workout. Switch into your running clothes right after kids are dismissed (before any meetings or organizing for the next day). Then, once things are under control go for a run from school. Then you'll have Sat/Sun to workout as well giving you 4 days a week.
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I never wait for motivation. I just get my butt out to the gym and give it my all. By the time I'm done, I feel way better than I did if I were to just have stayed home. Afterwards, I remember that feeling and force myself too basically. After a couple weeks of it consistently, you get used to it and it becomes a habit. Healthy habit :D that you actually enjoy. Plus, it's really great to see how much stronger you get/your body change!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've got to second those ladies who suggest morning workouts. I'm a teacher's aide at preschool, and I KNOW how you feel after work. Only way I've been consistent and successful is working out first thing in the a.m. Give it a try...you may end up feeling less exhausted in the afternoon, too!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i agree w/ the pp about choosing 2 days per week and changing clothes @ school and heading straight to the gym. this way, there is no temptation to stay home. good luck :smile:
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I suspect you get a pretty decent workout at school! I'm a teacher too, so I know how tired you feel at the end of the day...Is there another activity you can do that does double duty? (i.e. bike to work, speed walk to the store rather than drive, take a brisk walk at lunch) Perhaps there are ways to embed physical acitivity without officially labelling it a "workout".:smile:
  • adridupes
    adridupes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. I am going to aim for 4 workouts this week. Two after school and two in the mornings (ahhhh I am already dreading those a.m. workouts now!) I like the suggestion of changing here at work, and not even going home. I appreciate all of the feedback and I hope all of you have a great Monday!! :)
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Getting up isn't bad once you get used to it. I get up 4 mornings a week for bootcamp.... I LOVE having it done before 7am!!
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all of your suggestions. I am going to aim for 4 workouts this week. Two after school and two in the mornings (ahhhh I am already dreading those a.m. workouts now!) I like the suggestion of changing here at work, and not even going home. I appreciate all of the feedback and I hope all of you have a great Monday!! :)

I'd say you're well on your way to making a huge difference once again in your life!! You're an inspiration!
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You will love working out in the morning! It helps with my stress at work and gives me lots of energy.