are you on a specific diet or do you just do your own thing.

Options
I have never been one to stick with diets, the second I am restricted It makes me want to go and eat exactly what I am not supposed to. I find I can stay within my calorie goal much more easily just focusing on not restricting myself but eating more healthy foods. Which has me wondering, How many of you out there are on a specific diet? What diet is that? and why do you like that particular diet? Ready........Go.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have never done a "diet". I don't really believe in them, I believe in a healthy lifestyle, and use the food log on here to help me achieve that.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Same. For me, the second i start denying myself something, the more i want it.

By simply having what i always had, but now in moderation, i dont crave for anything :)
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I do my own thing. I keep my calories in check and make sure I exercise every day. By exercise I mean work hard. That seems to work well.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Own thing, sometimes modifying amounts or outright omitting foods once I see how many calories they contain, some times doing more exercise so I can eat then still :-D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I follow Weight Watchers, but that's akin to calorie counting.

I just try to eat healthy 90-95% of the time and allow treats in moderation, plus exercise. It's sane and it works.
  • inhousecork
    inhousecork Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    im the same :))
    tell me i cannot have something and its all i will think about.
    for me i do the healty option, whatever i get i try to take the healty option
    but... lol i got the worste mcdonalds happy meal the otherday when my goddaughter dragged me in
    it was fish fingers fruit bag and water lol happy i was not.
    still 57pounds down in 4mts im gonna keep plodding along.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I like when I like so long as I'm within 200 calories of my goal either way. And because I know I can have a pizza or a couple of cookies later if I really want them, I don't tend to have those dreadful cravings and eat pretty healthily anyway.
  • MsCyone
    MsCyone Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've tried both and actually found I do better with healthy limits, so I chose to diet into a healthy lifestyle. I'm doing the 17 day diet and it teaches healthy habits and transitions back to a healthy way of eating that I can do for the rest of my life.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My own thing. I've tried diets -- they never work in the long run for me. I just try to stay in my calorie range, eat lots of veggies, and get some exercise every day.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not on any particular diet. I'm just like you, because the second someone restricts me from something specific, I instantly want what I've been restricted from.

I'm a strong fan of "everything in moderation", but I focus MOSTLY on clean eating (fruits, veggies and lean meats) and not going out to eat. I allow myself one cheat day a week where I can have one restaurant meal. I allow myself to go out once a month to the bar and limit myself to three drinks maximum.

The key isn't to totally step away from it, because I know for me that it's unreasonable. Other people may not be able to, because of their particular food addiction, but for me I can have a good time without paying for it later or starting a huge binge.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I count calories. That's it. I don't do anything specific. I eat what I like, I just eat less of it (portion control). I also do healthier versions of a lot of things.
  • GHSub
    Options
    Diets don't work for me either. I have just been using the calorie counter and trying to make healthy exchanges. Things like using only egg whites when making cookies or other baked goods. I also have changed my butter and my milk. Other than that if I am craving something I have it. Not in the portions that I used to but I don't deny myself anything because that is when I binge. I am 8 lbs down and still going I hope you are having success as well!!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your goals set here then you're fine. Moderation is key! Diets don't work.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have never been one to stick with diets, the second I am restricted It makes me want to go and eat exactly what I am not supposed to. I find I can stay within my calorie goal much more easily just focusing on not restricting myself but eating more healthy foods. Which has me wondering, How many of you out there are on a specific diet? What diet is that? and why do you like that particular diet? Ready........Go.

No particular diet. I started off with the Low carb "Atkins" back in March for about 2 weeks and ate more sugar in those two weeks than I care to count, so I decided to just do me. IMO, and my opinion only, diets are mostly short term and they even advertise that. i.e. Lost 10#s in two weeks with Sensa. They never tell you how much you will regain after the two weeks. I no longer look at mysels as being on a diet, but now living a healthy lifestyle and that works for me. I hope to lose more weight, but if I don't, I am a lot better now than I was in March.

BTW, when writing the work count, always spell check to make sure you have not omitted the 'o'...lol.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm about to do Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0 in a week or so. Gotta get bf% down some more first.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    no specific diet for me. I stick to counting macros and as long as what I eat stays within those limits, I'm good. i.e. 145g carbs, 145g protein and 32g of fat. I do try to eat as clean as possible now, but I do not say I absolutely CANNOT have anything. Its too restrictive.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm on Weight Watchers, which is basically what you described: choosing healthy foods most of the time, but allowing everything in moderation but limiting my portions by counting. Except I count both calories (on MFP) and PointsPlus (on ww.com)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I count calories. That's it. I don't do anything specific. I eat what I like, I just eat less of it (portion control). I also do healthier versions of a lot of things.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I think my diet is called

CRAM AS MUCH FOOD INTO AS FEW CALORIES AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE I'M RAVENOUS 24/7

Yeah. That's it.

:laugh:

But, no seriously. I combined the P90X Lean and Mayo Clinic guidelines and came up with a ratio of 40% carbs / 40% protein / 20% fat. I net what MFP tells me to (meaning I eat my exercise calories since the deficit is already factored in). I was vegetarian before and got fat living off of pasta and butter so now I rarely eat those things and have introduce boneless, skinless chicken into my diet. Also, veggies! I limit fruit because of the sugar but also I'm just not super fond of fruit. XD

I just eat what I like that fits within my calorie and macronutrient goals. :) Oh, and I limit sodium because it makes me puffy and gross-feeling.

P.S.: 2% reduced-fat cheese, Greek yogurt and fire-roasted almonds changed my life. ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Doing my own thing works great. I don't deny myself when I have cravings and I don't overdo the cravings. I still make good food choices but I still get fast food breakfast every now and then. Last night, I had two chocolate chip cookes that I baked with dinner. I had a nice big salad before and a bottle of water right after. Today-no cravings for cookies this morning, I wanted my apple and oatmeal. If I had denied myself the cookies last night, I would probably be craving them until I couldn't take it anymore and binge on them.