How can you guys drink 8 cups of water in a day???

Options
I try and try to drink as much water as possible but at the end of the day i always drink about 4-5 cups.I am just never thirsty enough...how can i make myself thirstier or make myself drink enough water??

Replies

• kitteerae
    Options
    I try and try to drink as much water as possible but at the end of the day i always drink about 4-5 cups.I am just never thirsty enough...how can i make myself thirstier or make myself drink enough water??
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    I drink alot of herb decaf tea.

My dr says anything calorie and caffine free counts towards water.

Find different flavoring for water, wedges of fruit like:
    Lemons
    limes
    orange
    grapefuit
    Slices of cucumber

I drink alot of peppermint tea, I have tummy issues and it is one thing that soothes me.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I just fill up my water bottle and just drink it all day long and nothing else (except some coffee!). I don't think about it, I just do it. Keep water with you at all times and maybe that will help you drink more.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I just pound it back. Some diet authorities (Dr. Berenstein diets, for example) think it best to take in three large servings a day - of 500 mls at a time, and then drink additional water as thirsty. According to him, that 1.5 L that you would just down should be done 30 minutes before your meal, and not in response to thirst at all.

Good luck - another tip is to chug the water at room temperature - it's easier to get down.
    :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    When I first started I was chugging water to flush my system and make sure I had enough water. That gave me bad headaches. So I switched to sipping on it all day and I change my water counter every time I refill.
    I hate the taste of water so I eat mint or chew gum.
  • suprjewels
    Options
    have you checked to see how many ounces is your cup? I know my cup holds 21 ounces. So you might be drinking your 8 8oz cups and not even realize it.
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    :flowerforyou: u know what i do.i take a little 100% grape juice and add a little to my water,it tastes great and doesnt have hardly any calories because i have a hard time drinking in the winter to cold.........:wink:
  • Monica L
    Options
    I find i can drink more water when i am using a straw.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I just recently bought a jug that holds 64 oz. I just fill it up and keep it with me all day. I know that before I go to bed, it needs to be empty.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    With breakfast, I drink 16 oz. of water (2 cups). I take a bite, then take a sip. At my desk, I keep a 16 oz. bottle of water all day. I play little games to make sure I drink it. For instance, if I have to get up to go to the copier, go to the kitchen to get something, go to someone's office or even go to the bathroom, I'll say to myself that I have to drink all my water before I can get up to go do something. Then, when I do get up, I take my water with me and refill it.

It is better at room temperature. I used to not be able to drink water unless it was ice cold, but it goes down easier at room temp. Also, try adding a little Crystal Light. I started out doing that and have since found that I actually enjoy my water!

And, someone told me recently that getting that daily intake of water will help with more things while losing weight. I'm a little paranoid about having loose skin and she told me that the water will help keep my skin hydrated and help with its elasticity so it will adjust with my body as the weight goes down.

So, I say . . . drink up! :drinker: Don't always rely on thirst. And, I know people have said on here that you should drink during exercise, but if you can't . . . make sure you drink immediately after. I always chug an extra bottle of water after exercise. Sometimes two!
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've always been a water drinker but a straw does help and keeping it in front of you all day long. Also I keep it very cold cause it takes the body more to warm it up and it is supposed to use more energy. That was a weight watchers tip. I went to WW about 5 years ago. Lost 50 lbs and then went off of it and gained it all back and more. But I am still using some of the things I learned from them.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • mwharton
    Options
    When I first started drinking lots of water, it seemed to be more of an effort (forcing it). Now that I've been doing it a while, my bodies seems to tell me to drink it. I drink 2 cups in the morning when I first get up, I drink 4+ throughout the day, and then drink my last 2 before going to bed.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    At first, it is difficult to make that change if you aren't used to it. You'll be in the ladies room often and your body isn't exactly thanking you for it.

After a few days, you start feeling thirsty and the bathroom trips even out. Then your body will ask you for the water and it is easier.

:drinker:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When you are thirsty you are already dehydrated and you don't want that. And yes, someone said to measure your cup or glass that you are using it might be more than a cup. If you are exercising you should be drinking more than 8 cups a day. Eight cups is just the minimum recommended. I drink about 16 cups a day. I just love drinking water!!! And I drink coffee so I need all that water. :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    lack of water can lead to over eating! The brain does not differentiate between hunger and thirst, so you might think that you are hungry, while it is water that you need. Try drinking water the next time you get those hunger pangs!

Drink Up

An average person needs 7-8 glasses of water everyday, but if you are over weight, you need to drink more. You need to drink 8 ounces extra for every 25 pounds of excess weight on you.

It's best to spread your water consumption throughout the day. Drink a big glass around two or three times a day and take sips in between. Don't allow yourself to be thirsty, as that means that your body is already dehydrated
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have a favorite cup that hold 3 cups. I fill it with ice often, and bring it EVERYWHERE I go. The parents at my daughter's hockey tease me that there's booze in it. I call it my twin and take it everywhere with me. They ask why, I tell them it's so I drink enough water in a day! I drink 2 of them when I exercise. :drinker:
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a Nalgene "Everyday" bottle that holds 4 cups. I just keep it near me when I'm at my desk, and drink throughout the day. Today's gonna be one of the days I go over, however, as I have Kendo practice tonight! :bigsmile:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm here to sing water's praises. When I first started the 8 cups a day thing it was HARD, and my body was pretty upset at me. I was all kinds of sick in different ways. However, it's been one week and not only is it easier to get all that water in, I also noticed today that the excema on my eyelids has half cleared up! I was SHOCKED to see white, beautiful skin over half my eye!!!!!

So, I'm loving water more than ever right now, you have no idea. :happy: :happy: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I find i can drink more water when i am using a straw.

I use that route too when drinking plain water.

Otherwise I flavor my water with kool aid or the like. Makes it easier to chug.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    When I first started drinking lots of water, it seemed to be more of an effort (forcing it). Now that I've been doing it a while, my bodies seems to tell me to drink it. I drink 2 cups in the morning when I first get up, I drink 4+ throughout the day, and then drink my last 2 before going to bed.

I drink about 6 cups while at work, after my morning coffee.
    By bedtime, I suddenly get parched and drink about another 4 cups.