sodium hinder fat loss?

Options
I know sodium makes you feel bloated and isn't good for you in large amounts,

I know it causes you to retain more water which makes the scale read higher..

But does it hinder actual fat loss? Im having a hard time keeping sodium at my goal.

Im usually well over.

Thank you

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, it should not hinder fat loss. That being said the 2500 mgs should be max/day. It is recommended to get around 1500 mgs. If you are going over, eat less canned foods and/or frozen dinners, and skip the fast food.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect fat loss.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sodium causes you to retain water, which means the scale will hate you because of the water.

Sodium and sugar are two of America's biggest health issues because our foods are loaded with it.

Does it hinder fat loss? I don't think so. Salt in and of itself does not pack on pounds, it's the water it causes you to hold on to that gives that illusion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't hinder fat loss. But it's still bad to eat too much sodium because it can raise your blood pressure.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    It may sound like the opposite thing you should do but if you're retaining water your body is holding it in because it thinks you have a deficit of water so drink more water and you shouldn't retain it!
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my problem seems to come from Frank's Red hot. I use it to flavor everything. an example is i had eggs in the morning, a can of tuna, a grilled chicken breast. I don't put salt on it, i only put Franks to flavor it. I guess i gotta lay off the franks!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my sodium last week, and I am SHOCKED! I am keeping it at 1500 mg a day. I tried to eat some steak sauce on Saturday with my steak, and I actually spit it out cause all I tasted was the salt. It was super easy to get out of my diet.