My Heart Rate and BMR

Options
I read online that the BMR could be slightly off due to overly muscular or overweight people. Due to my muscular build, I wonder.

I just got my HMR the other day, put it on as I was climbing out of bed and I wore it to one of the easier work nights, and when I woke up I was at about 3100 calories burned.

My settings in MFP were that I was lightly active, because I don't consider myself working too hard, but when I take into account the following using my BMR of 1,684.30

Sedentary (little or no exercise) – your AMR = BMR x 1.2
Lightly active (light exercise/work 1-3 days per week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.375
Moderately active (moderate exercise/work 3-5 days per week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.55
Very active (hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.725
Extra active (very hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.9

I was only set at utilizing about 2,315.9.
The moderately active level would put me at 2,610.7

I also understand that one day of wearing the hrm isn't an accurate average, but looking at these numbers. Is it wrong for me to adjust my activity level to the next level (moderately active) in MFP to a little more closely take my work and muscular build into account?

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am muscular and pretty active as well and my nutririonist measured my brm (via fanchy schmancy scale) at 1550. I don't think I'd change it. I use an hrm only when I work out and if I ate all the cals it said I burn I'd never be able to lose.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM's do not accurately calculate calories burned while not working out. The calculation in the HRM is assuming steady state aerobic activity and is partly based on an assumed oxygen uptake, which will be wrong when not working out.

If you want to know what you burn all day without exercise (Maintenance cals, not BMR, BMR is what you would need to maintain weight in a coma) you would need a Fitbit, or Bodybugg.