I need suggestions to help curb my night-time eating.

Options

Replies

• rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I took up crocheting just recently to help keep me focused in the evenings. If I really feel the need to snack or that I just need something I try hot tea, or hot cocoa ( diet or sugar free) It seems to curb the urge to munch.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually have a big dinner, it's the only true "meal" I usually have. I just have snacks throughout the day but I like a big dinner. I would suggest not keeping unhealthy food in the house. If it's not there you can't eat it. Also, you might benefit from an eating cut-off time such as "nothing other than water after 8 o'clock (or whatever time works for you).
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, and then I found if I kept my hands busy I was less likely to eat - crafts or reading usually and if that didn't work I would get up and go for a walk, or work out.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great suggestions - but I think first you need to stop and think about WHY you do it. For me it has been about releiving axiety and stress. I come home from work and I am tired and I still have things that need to be done at home. I find my brain shuts off and I just start eating... and the eating is almost a way of transistioning myself from work to home. I am currently working on trying NEW ways of transitioning from work to home - changing my clothes, check facebook, etc. And trying new ways to relax. Sipping hot tea, snuggling with my son/hubby, chopping veggies for dinner, lighting candles, cross stitching, etc.
  • BobbyLx
    BobbyLx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sex. Have lots and lots of sex at night instead of eating.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Aaaaand the creeps start to surface.

:laugh:
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm a rockstar all day, but once I get home from work, all I want to do is eat. What I've been doing is committing to have a healthy dinner, afterwards I go for a walk or go to the gym. Once I get home from my activity, I don't have time to think about eating what with having to shower, get the kids ready for bed and what-not. Once I'm upstairs finishing with the kids and have time for myself before bed, I refuse to go back in the kitchen. Not sure if that will work for you, but I would just try to keep youself busy during those hours you normally would be snacking.
  • shortd1017
    Options
    I agree with getting away from the kitchen and water, only not in that order. Halfway through your meal, drink a really large glass of water, at least 12 oz. in one shot. You probably won't feel like eating too much more after that but try to eat a few more bites. Drink another 12 oz. (at least) of water and then LEAVE the kitchen, Even if it's just for 10 minutes. Go brush your teeth or check your e-mail. If you have a hard time getting all that water down in that short amount of time, try adding a hint of MIO (liquid, flavored "0" calorie sweetener) or Crystal Light to make it more palatable.

I have used this technique quite a few times and for me, it has worked every time. Filling up on the water is usually a total craving buster but sometimes you need a little more than that. Removing yourself from the food should obliterate whatever is left of your craving.
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure you're eating enough in the day. I find if I skip snacks in the day, I get ravenous in the evening. So the answer is eating every 2-3 hours and making sure I have protein every time. A piece of fruit isn't enough.
  • BobbyLx
    BobbyLx Posts: 13 Member
    Options

How mean. This is why I don't bother offering advice.
  • greybeh
    greybeh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have troubles with night-eating. I've found that snacking really helps me cope better with the "coming home, time to eat" trigger.

I have a snack before I leave work. I sometimes carry something with me (like an apple), or I have a snack right when I get in the door. When I eat at home, I try to have a higher protein snack to curb my hunger.

Another thing that helps is spreading dinner out. If you live by yourself, this is easier than if you are feeding a family. I'll have a main course, and then a bit later, have something else. You could even start with your veggie or fruit first to make sure you get them in!

Going to sleep is what I really need to do instead of eating at night. Sometimes my signals get totally crossed, and what I'm needing is SLEEP or WATER (dehydration, especially after my commute -- I should start carrying water to sip with me!)

I am trying to eat popscicles more, too. Or fruit.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Eat later. Go to bed. Plan your snacks.

I am a big night-time snacker. I always try to leave some calories to allow for a small snack at night. If I'm out of calories, I try to go to bed! Surprisingly, the brushing teeth advice actually works for me. My favorite late night snack? Cottage cheese. Especially the full fat (4%) variety. It gives me the full feeling without going crazy on the calories, and it's a great source of protein.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate

The worst part is that your body gets used to it. If you start eating at night, it will crave it every night...I try to either drink tea OR have you ever tried Dessert Delights gum?

They have an apple pie flavor one and it literally tastes like you're eating pie :)

And then, as the other posters said ...GO TO SLEEP lol
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

How mean. This is why I don't bother offering advice.

I agree. That was mean.

The best advice I can give is spread your MFP calories around all during the day in healthy, whole foods. That way your body will not try to make up for getting to little during the day and go NUTS at night.

Also, don't keep unhealthy snacks in your house. The experts say that if you have to drive to the market to get the Oreos late at night most likely you will NOT do it.
  • 2001cobra
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. I have a pretty boring life so each night is like a routine, I get home from work, watch the news, eat dinner at about 7:00pm, in front of the TV of course, then somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00pm I start getting a craving for something sweet. i would eat ANYTHING no matter what it was or how many calories were in it.

Then I got smart.

I DO NOT BRING ANYTHING INTO THE HOUSE THAT IS TEMPTING OR FATTENING !!!

NOTHING !!! except perhaps low fat yogurt?

I have cereal for breakfast everyday except on Saturday when I splurge for whatever I want. During the week I eat lunch out and only eat 1/2 the meal.. I take the rest home for dinner. That way there is nothing in the house except cereal and milk. No chips, no cookies, no cakes, no candy, no bread, NOTHING!

If you struggle with eating at night and are serious about losing weight and quitting the late night snacking you have to do something drastic.

That just me.

But it will work for you too. If it ain't there, ya can't eat it !!
  • withtheband
    Options
    Try this one on for size.
    I'm good all day, I try really hard and hit my goals most all of the time.
    Issue is that after bedtime, I wake up in the middle of the night and in a 1/2 awake state, I go down and eat through the kitchen. 95% of the time it's carbs but untll recently I used to buy cookies or candy and kep them under the bed so I could do this nearly in my sleep without getting up. I've done ambien, lunesta, melatonin, valium, exercise, and everything else under the sun but I wake up nearly every night in a carb frenzy. Mostly the carbs have to be something sweet.

I get enough to eat during the day. This is a weird sickness. I've done some research and it's called Nighttime Eating Syndrome and is pretty common but there's not much on how to treat it. If I'm awake enough to "fight it", I don't sleep. If I'm lucid, there's really no stopping it.

I noticed the last couple of nights I've changed the binges to things like sugar free pudding, wasa crackers and turkey and oatmeal bars but it doesn't stop the actual behavior.

Is anyone willing to admit they have THIS issue and if so, has anything worked?
    I understand why Michael Jackson needed anesthesia every night.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Have a good, nutritious supper. Filling up on junk just puts you on a sugar high, sugar low, hungries, hungries cycle. Have a supper of a 4-6 oz steak, 1 cup of brown rice, veggies, salad and fruit and you will last until the next day. If you have to snack, make yourself some popcorn (sans butter).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your diary is incomplete most days. Start logging consistently. Hit your calorie targets. Space your meals out so you have calories left over at night, so you can eat. If the problem persists after all that, post again, and we can better help you with the diary filled in.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Your diary is incomplete most days. Start logging consistently. Hit your calorie targets. Space your meals out so you have calories left over at night, so you can eat. If the problem persists after all that, post again, and we can better help you with the diary filled in.

^^