Fibromyalgia

Options
Anyone else suffer from this? Any thoughts, inspirations, guidance, tips and tricks ? :smile: :smile:

Replies

• dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Anyone else suffer from this? Any thoughts, inspirations, guidance, tips and tricks ? :smile: :smile:
  • turtle18828
    Options
    Hey you are not alone. My life partner has fibro, and has to take it easy on the excersies cuz of the pain she suffers. She has found that when she started walking it was really hard on her hips besides the fibro, but after a couple of days the excersies has helped her..... do u by chance have trouble sleeping like she does? If so please let me know. have u heard about the new fda approved drug just for fibro. it works on the pain in the muscles and the nerves. but i just cant remember what its called. sorry. the doc just started her on it 2 days ago. and he told her within 1-2 weeks she will feel a difference in the pain. u might check with ur doc if u havent already. but beware it cost a pretty penny, but if it works it's so worth it. good luck and hope to hear from u again soon. oh hey i just remembered the name of that drug for fibro it's called Lyrica.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My mom has FMS. I actually wrote my Masters Thesis on FMS & Exercise if your interested. Go to OhioLink.edu and look up my name if you want to read it.

FMS is diverse in it's symptoms so that it is as individual as a disease can be. I truly believe there is a "best" treatment for each individual, so you need to take the time to see what works for you. I love to help people with this subject in particular, and firmly believe in treating au natural so I won't push products or txs on you!

The key is to know that you can control the fibro! You can get back control of your life! :flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Wow. Great. This is a lot of help. I have had fibro for as long as I can remember but was properly diagnosed last year. I DO have trouble sleeping. The pain can get so bad sometimes that I just can't fall asleep. As well, I find as soon as I fall asleep I just wake up (wide awake) and its so annoying.

Exercising is really difficult for me. Before I could do things like stairmaster and long walks but now I am just in too much pain. I have a gym downstairs, so I have started (again) to go down there and do some really low-effort walking...roughly 45 mins (if I am having a good day). I need to start swimming again. ONE thing that I know works for me is Hatha yoga. I lived by it, 6x a week, for a year and I never felt better. I still woke up feeling like a truck hit me and I needed a good amount of time to let my body become unstiff but the daily pain was reduced. It costs so much money and i have no desire to do DVDs. I need guidance.

Thank you for replying. I will definitely come back here more often when I need some advice, comfort, and friends.
  • turtle18828
    Options
    My parner uses our pool for excersies too. it makes her feel good to be in the water and she loves it. do u have access to a hottub too? that helps her muscles. I bout her this massaging flat mattess from walmart, and she uses it when shes really hurting and can barly move, or when her hips or back or heck any part of her body is hurting. I know i dont know what the pain is like for you, but i do know what its like to live with someone who has fibro. It's tough to know something as simple as buttoning ur shirt or changing a lite bulb can be so difficult. I know its hard, but do what u can when u can. If u get so bad u cant work, they are giving disabitilty to people with fribro now. Its such a life atlering disease. remember i'm always here to chat if u want. good luck...:flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    I hope I never get to the point of not being able to go to work period. I know I have been late a few times because my body was so stiff, I couldn't even get dressed. How terrible is that. I live in a condo, so I have access to pools/hot tubs/saunas. I need to take advantage of these ammenities more. Just have to get over my self-esteem issues too hehehe
  • turtle18828
    Options
    who cares what anybody else thinks... u are a beautiful woman. my girlfriend goes early in the morning b4 anyone else gets up and stirring.... but shes an earlybird...... yeah living in a condo or apartment complex is wonderful...... all the fun free stuff...... like pools and gyms and hottubs and saunas. and best of all no yard work to do...lolololol....... hey or go late at night....... do the doctors have u on any meds for the pain? she takes hydrocone.... cant spell it.... sorry... but it gives her little help.... i do know that having a lot of stress in ur life can make the pain worse too.
  • dulceluva
    Options
    No, I am not on any meds yet. I have to see my Rheumotologist on Monday. I need her to help me already. She may have diagnosed me and did a bunch of tests but we've been in limbo ever since. Need to get the ball rolling on my treatments.
  • JAMINJESS
    Options
    MY SISTER INLAW SUFFERS FROM FIBRO, SHE HAS IT UNDER CONTROL BY CHANGING HER DIET AND SHE SWEARS BY IT AT FIRST I THOUGHT SHE WAS A DRAMA QUEEN UNTIL I STARTED TO SUFFER FROM FIBRO MYSELF I FIND STAYING AWAY FROM BEEF AND SUGAR SUBSTITUES
    HELPS MY SYMPTOMS. TRY EATING MORE FRUITS AND VEGGIES IF YOU REALLY WANT TO EXPERIMENT TRY A VEGAN DIET FOR A WHILE AND SEE IF IT HELPS YOUR SYMPTOMS..
    HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!:smile:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Thanks. I AM going to try and eat better which will go hand in hand with my weight loss efforts. I am going to slowly eat better and exercise but I know that because I have Fibro, it might just take me a little longer to achieve my goals. I remember a few years ago, I dropped 50 lbs but it took me 2 yrs to do that all because I could only exercise gradually. ahh I will get there. I can feel the motivation inside, finally.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia also. Common after trauma like a car accident with injuries like mine. Walking really helps but I also have days where I just don't feel I can function. I've just started taking lyrica and it seems to help a bit. Weather seems to be a factor for me also. Dampness, really cold weather. Fibromyalgia sucks:grumble: Lyrica is known to cause weight gain and that it has.:frown: But I've noticed the more I give in to the fibro the worse it seems. If I don't exercise the stiffness is much worse. But if I exercise too much I pay for it. So we have to keep on keeping on. Hearing what you have to say is encouraging, I don't feel so alone with this illness. Thanks
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You guys know what you're talking about! All good information. A few points of emphasis: pool workout- ABSOULUTELY! But you have to be sure the temperature is warm enough. Check with local pools that offer therapeutic exercise if yours is too cold (should be around 80, which is warm for most pools). My mom spent about 3 months in the Keys one summer and all she did was go walk in the water. When she began, she was only ankle deep. The moving sand and water were enough of a challenge (she walks with a cane). By the end, she was waist deep and about 50lbs lighter!

From my research, walking appears to be the most commonly reported form of exercise which FMS patients maintained the longest, so start slow and go for it!

Diet: mom has mentioned in recent years that she notices problems with wheat in addition to sugar. The carbs wreak havoc on her body; almost flu-like symptoms, and she has narrowed it down to wheat over the years. Just thought I'd mention that for anyone tyring to modify diets.:flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    I love potatoes. lol I am going to see my doctor on Monday and she what she has to say. I really don't want to take any pills that make me gain weight...I seemed to have a good job of that on my own because of Fibro.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I also have, or as I like to hope USED to have fibro. I have had one flare-up in the past few years. I think everyone has different things behind the symptoms. For me the following diet eliminations have allowed me to go off of six daily medications. Refined sugar (I still indulge, but only once a week) wheat (I find I can never) and gluten in general, which includes barley, rye, oats, wheat and spelt.

I found that "alternative" therapies were the most helpful for me. I was lucky enough to have an MD who was not afraid to experiment with my protocol, and appreciated that I wanted to get off my medications, all of which had a weight-gain side effect.

Also, start very slow with exercise, and make sure you schedule in some recovery time. When I first started working out, I would literally do 10 minutes on the treadmill, go home and take a nap. For encouragement, (and maybe a little bragging) I'm now able to be very physically active.

I wish you strength.

and, I still eat potatoes.:wink:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Thanks. I agree with you on the exercise. I do have to go very slowly and some days are worse than others. Some days I can walk for a good 45 mins and other days I am struggling just to do 15 and wish it were over already.