Upstairs

Options
thanks

Replies

• Peque1130deleted
    Options
    I live on the 2nd floor, theres an older lady whos nice but grumpy below me. I used t owork out when I knew she was out but now I work full time M-F 7-3 so I miss my time to go stomp around without annoying her. I wanted to get back into my P90X but I really don't want to be stomping on her ceiling for 90 minutes a day. Anyone else have the issue, I need to just go down there and tell her that I'll be doing this generally from this time to that time.

Also, I wonder if doing p90x and zumba (zumba is 3 times a week, P90X would be 6 days a week) would be a bit too much?

Ha ha ha!! I live on the 3rd flr....I workout after work, which is around 6ish...it's still early enough where if I disrupt them, they cant call the cops on me... lol. I have only been doing tae bo which doesnt have a lot of jumping, but tonight I will start the butt bible and 30ds, I hope I dont get evicted!! lol

If you talk to her, she may understand and not give you a lot if grief over the noise...good luck!!
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I live in NJ, and laws here you can't complain about noise until after 10pm! I would check into that. Also if your exercising on hardwood floors maybe get a little area rug!!!!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Too funny, invite her up for a challenge. You never know that old lady may be grumpy cause nobody ever talks to her. I have found the grumpy ones to be the most funny. Laugh at her grumpiness and engage her in conversation, she may just turn out to be a great friend, then you would get away with anything upstairs!!
  • 4cookiesmom
    Options
    I think you should just tell her that you will be exercising at a certain time frame and you wanted to give her a heads up. Then, as the other post said, do it at a time that you can't get the cops called on you.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Personally I think p90X and any other exercise is too much.
  • sojojoshua
    Options
    I live in the 3rd floor and they did have a problem and told me...... that they cant sleep coz they wake up really late. so finally we came to a solution and agreed on a particular time- 11 am 12 noon..... so now, I do that....
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree, if I knew in advance I'd be OK!!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm with tootsnpops. Invite her over for tea and a healthy snack. Leave out your videos in an obvious manner, and casually mention that you use them to try to lose weight. Engage her in conversation. Mention that you are trying to get healthy. Listen to her own health concerns. (Maybe she'd be interested in joining you, maybe not. Listen to her own health concerns either way.) If you strike up a friendship with her, she may surprise you and scold you if she HASN't heard you exercising, since she'll know it means so much to your health.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I'm a third floor person myself.

I deal with the smokers downstairs and the bbq starter fluid smells. I figure we all have to deal with something in apartment living. I looked for a long time to make sure I had a top floor, end unit so I wouldn't have to deal with those above me.

She'll survive.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    She'll survive.

Agreed. I'll let her know. If its that much of an issue I;ll jsut wake up earlier to stomp around :]
  • lauehorn
    Options
    I live on the 2nd floor, theres an older lady whos nice but grumpy below me. I used t owork out when I knew she was out but now I work full time M-F 7-3 so I miss my time to go stomp around without annoying her. I wanted to get back into my P90X but I really don't want to be stomping on her ceiling for 90 minutes a day. Anyone else have the issue, I need to just go down there and tell her that I'll be doing this generally from this time to that time.

Also, I wonder if doing p90x and zumba (zumba is 3 times a week, P90X would be 6 days a week) would be a bit too much?

Out of respect for trying to be neighborly, I'd just let her know that you are going to be starting a new exercise regime and that you will try to keep noise and bother to a minimum, but ask if there are times she isn't around so you can try and do some while she is out. Unfortunately for her, that's just one of the things that goes with not living on the top floor. I've done the first few weeks of P90X and not all of the videos require a lot of bouncing or jumping, so you shouldn't be super loud every day. If you can find a way to do them outside, that's even better. I used to do the Plyo video in the courtyard (I'm on the second floor, too) unless I was sure my downstairs neighbors wouldn't be home. I just took my laptop outside. Or, find a group of friends to do those videos with you, so you won't feel silly hopping around by yourself. :)

And I think doing anything more than just P90X will be too much, not to mention you risk injury and burn out. P90X can be super intense if you do it right. You don't need anything else.