my dog & me

Options
So maybe I should be asking The dog whisperer....I have a border collie/heeler mix, 18 months old. Now, I got this breed of dog to go hiking/biking with me. He does wonderful hiking but unless someone is in front of me biking, he's too slow biking...any suggestions? I really want a biking buddy :-/

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options
    "Herders" like to follow. Don't let him go ahead of you. Make him follow. Start slow, work up to speed and keep practicing. He'll have to keep up and they are super smart, so he'll catch on quickly.
  • mmuzzy1068
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing, good luck!
  • sjum
    sjum Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Another ditto..
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    that makes sense...like i said he's wonderful when someone else is in front of us. I just don't have anyone to be in front. Maybe I should've gotten a different breed, but it's too late now...I love my Rocky :-)
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Dogs either lead or follow. You area the leader, have him follow.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    He does follow...too slow. I just wish he would be faster without me having to drag him behind my bicycle. ;)
  • dsipes3262
    dsipes3262 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have an Australian Shepherd that I've starting riding a bike with. They have a device out now that hooks onto your bike to keep them trotting beside you rather than in front or behind you. It's called the Walky Dog Bike Leash. It works wonders with her. Since she's a herder too, this has really helped to get some of the pent up energy out in the mornings. She loves her morning rides.