NEW and afraid to weigh in

swiftyoung
swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I am new to the site. I had been tracking my food in take on Web MD. But my sister told me about this site a few day ago and I really like it. I have very ambitious goals. I need to lose between 55-65 lbs. and want to lose it NOW. In the past, I have lost weight slowly ,averaging .1/4 lbs to 1/2lbs per week. I need to consistently lose 1-2 lbs per week to stay motivated. The fact is I have not weighed in since June of 2008. (I can still wear all my clothing so I am assuming that I am within 10 lbs of my previous weight). Anyway, I haven't built up the courage to go out and purchase a new scale to weigh in. Any advice !:blushing:

Replies

• swiftyoung
    Hi, I am new to the site. I had been tracking my food in take on Web MD. But my sister told me about this site a few day ago and I really like it. I have very ambitious goals. I need to lose between 55-65 lbs. and want to lose it NOW. In the past, I have lost weight slowly ,averaging .1/4 lbs to 1/2lbs per week. I need to consistently lose 1-2 lbs per week to stay motivated. The fact is I have not weighed in since June of 2008. (I can still wear all my clothing so I am assuming that I am within 10 lbs of my previous weight). Anyway, I haven't built up the courage to go out and purchase a new scale to weigh in. Any advice !:blushing:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Just go get you a scale and weight in. Then you know where you stand and you will know how hard you need to work to get to where you want to be. You can do this! Don't be afraid. Today is the first day of the rest of your life!!
  • swiftyoung
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Any suggestions on the best scales to use. To accurately track progress.
  • Just go get you a scale and weight in. Then you know where you stand and you will know how hard you need to work to get to where you want to be. You can do this! Don't be afraid. Today is the first day of the rest of your life!!
    I totally agree! :glasses:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    There's nothing that says you HAVE to weigh in but I think if you do now you'll be able to look back and realize how far you've come later! It's a tool, perhaps if you think of it that way it might be a bit easier. Can you not purchase one and simply use a friends once a week so you don't get obsessed with it?

Tape measure!! Another great tool for measuring progress....I don't yet know anyone that obsesses with a tape measure but its a great method to check your progress...it feels so good to see the inches dropping off!

Just some thoughts

Welcome to MFP!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hey sis, Im afraid of life in general. Being afraid is ok, it's what we do when we are. Just look it in the eye and go for it. It feels sooooooooooo good to do that. Im typing this because I need to hear it, again and again. You are here so you overcame one fear already. Telling others. What you've told us here has helped me immensly. For me, life is about helping others. I don't always do it, but that is my heart's desire each day. When I think I need help the most, I usually get it when someone needs encouraging. I all of a sudden, forget about me and focus on them. Then I realize my fear has vanished. I feel that way now. I was crying huge tears when I came and saw your post. Keep on coming here darlin, as we all seem to help one another. You aren't alone. Denise in Sams Valley OR

• Just go get you a scale and weigh in.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Although I do weigh myself in the morning first thing. It's kind of a "dry weight", ya know, like a car without any fluids in it. I find this very motivational. The calorie tracker allots calories to loose a pound a week, so if you stay within that guide line you should see results. Any exercise on top of that is definitely a bonus. An average 10 min cardio workout will burn 90-100 calories.
  • Any suggestions on the best scales to use. To accurately track progress.

I use a Health-O-Meter (?). I got it for about $20 a Walmart
  • I know it's hard at first, but once you do it...you will be on the road to WEIGHLOSS heaven. I say jump in. You have a lot of support here.......GOOD LUCK!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Welcome to this amazing site, this is such a motivator for me, yes, go and get you a scale so you can find out how much you weight and see what you need to do to get started losing the weight. I wish you luck in your weight loss journey. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Summarain
    Summarain Posts: 145
    Any suggestions on the best scales to use. To accurately track progress.

I use a Health-O-Meter (?). I got it for about $20 a Walmart

Me too! Its pretty good! I like it a lot! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.