new treadmill

Options
I bought a treadmill yesterday, so far I love it, I has been raining non stop since I got it so the timing couldn't be better. Does anybody else use one daily ? I've also noticed the estimated calories burned on it is much lower that what this web site estimates for an hour on the treadmill. which one is more accurate ?

Replies

• stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    The only way to really tell is to wear a heart rate monitor. I will tell you that my treadmill is way off on calories and times compared to when I run outside, so if I had to guess I would say the treadmill is the one that's off more.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Great investment! I don't have a treadmill but I do have an elliptical at home. For the best estimate, you need to get a HRM. I find that the MFP estimates run -really- high and the machine estimates are usually about 100 calories too high from my experience. For now until you get a HRM I would just use the average of the 2 numbers (MFP and machine read).
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill everyday - just about this is what I learned - the calorie count is not accurate at all - you need a heart rate monitor -also you burn more calories doing intervals - I incline at 12 for 3 mins or so then back down to 6 - also when your on a 1 incline is equivalent to walking outside on flat line.....Good luck and have fun!!!!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time. Well, 3x per week all the time. Am doing c25k training on it.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor. Check out the Polar FT4, it's cheap and accurate. Does your treadmill sync with a HRM?? If so, get the one that works with your Treadmill..

On the higher end, check out the BodyBug or BodyFit. They're accurate too, but rely on movement not heart rate for calculating calories. They also require you to pay a monthly website fee (you can't get the data off the device without paying).

If you want to train your heart and get it stronger, than go the HRM route, push yourself to get your HR up into the 85% or higher zone for 12-20 minutes. That produces the greatest results.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the reply's so far. I will invest in a heart rate monitor. There is a little spot to put your thumb on this treadmill, to see your heart rate, but I cant keep my thumb there the whole time. and it reads all different numbers, I can't tell what it means. I don't have a manual with this treadmill, I bought it off of Craig's list.
  • Since the first day I bought my treadmill, the heart rate monitor was not accurate. I couldn't afford a heart rat monitor when I first purchased my treadmill so I got really good at taking my pulse... I found out what my target heart rate was and stuck to that because I learned that is when I burned the most fat... For example my THR is 120... So I would walk for 5-6 minutes, then step on the side rails and take my pulse for 10 seconds... If it was around 20, I knew I was at a good page.. If not I would adjust my Speed... With a healthy diet, my first 3 weeks of walking at my THR on the treadmill for 5 days a week, I lost 19 pounds... Hmmm... I think I will get back on that treadmill tomorrow for faster results... Good Luck to You!!!