Muscle weighing more than Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, 1 lb. of fat burns about 2-3 kcal/day, while 1 lb. of muscle burns about 5-7kcal/day assuming you're at rest.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What is worth more, 1 single $100 bill, or 100 $1 bills?

The 100 $1's because you get 100 of them instead of just 1. Duh!

That's SO funny - my grandson thinks like that - he's 4! He got a $50 bill from his great-grandma for his birthday but the 4 $1 bills that he got from his great-grandpa was BETTER because there were 4 of them!! :-)

I once asked my 5 year old niece to trade me her single $20 bill for 5 of my $1 bills to see what she'd say.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    50 lbs of muscles weighs more than 50 lbs of fat...

...the same way that...

50 lbs. of bricks weighs more than 50 lbs. of feathers.

I think you actually mean something like 50 quarts/liters of muscle weighs more than 50 quarts/liters of fat (or any other measure of volume).
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You need to be a little careful in thinking that resistance training (generally weights) helps you lose weight. The American College of Sports Medicine concluded in 2009 that: "Resistance training will not promote clinically significant weight loss." (http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2009/02000/Appropriate_Physical_Activity_Intervention.26.aspx.)

None of this is intended to discourage you from engaging in resistance training. Although it probably won't help you lose weight, resistance training will make you healthier. Simply by cutting calories enough to lose weight, even if you do so in reasonable manner, you're probably going to cause yourself to lose some muscle. Resistance training will help prevent this and may make you stronger that you were before.